Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:11 AM   #1

Default Canon 10-22 or Another Choice?

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping I could get comments or opinions from anyone who reads this. I am current using a T1I with various Canon lenses. I am considering my next addition to be an ultra wide zoon. In Canon's case this would be the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM. I should also add that I am not a professional. But instead an advanced amatuer.

For that reason it makes it a little more difficult to justify the higher cost of Canon over the two options I have listed below. Even thought I fully understand the benefits of purchasing the original manufactures equipment. That being quality, compatibility, better glass and a fast lens. The other 2 choices I am considering would be:

1. Sigma 10mm - 20mm f/4-5.6 EX There is also a F/3.5 available
2. Tamron SP AF 10-24mm f / 3.5-4.5

I have no experience with either of these maufactures lenses. So, I can't be sure if one is "bettter" than the other. Or instead it makes more sense to stay with a Canon lens for a Canon camera.

Any comments pro or con would be appreciated. That will help as I get closer to a decision

Thanks
ttonnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2011, 1:44 AM   #2

what do you currently have,
Another option is the tokina 11-16 2.8
And if you need even wider the sigma 8-16 4.5-5.6
Old Jul 18, 2011, 3:46 AM   #3

I had a similar situation, and resolved it with the Tokina 11-16mm. Seems like they become available every month, for a day before they sell out. Now that I have one, I see the value of the Canon 10-22mm. The 11mm is plenty wide on my T2i, but the 'zoom' to 16mm is miniscule in effect. I imagine the 22mm end on the Canon would be more useful. As commented elsewhere, there is some chromatic abor, abbor, err, purple fringing in the high contrast areas, but only evident when pixel peeping, so it is slight to say the least.

At the end of the day, the Tokina 11-16mm is a fine lens with the added advantage of a constant f/2.8 aperture. Distortion is well-controlled, but I didn't put a micrometer to my monitor either. I've read that the Tokina will mount on a full-frame Canon, but becomes a 16mm prime on FF (useful if the standard 24mm zooms are not wide enough). By the time we figure in the included hood, the unit sells for $220 less than the Canon. The build quality is solid. Is the Canon worth the extra $$$? I've not shot it, but from what I've read about the 10-22mm and seen with the Tokina, there is a benefit to the extra $$$, but it's a personal choice regarding the value of the benefit. For myself, the Tokina is a keeper.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:22 AM   #4

Default What I Have Already

Currently I have the lenses listed below. As stated in my original reply they are all Canon. So, I definetly believe in buying from the original manufacturer. However, in this case I wanted to consider other options. Being that this will not be a "heavily used" lens that becomes my Go To Lens.

A lot of what I like to photograph is lanscapes, buildings, outdoors, mountains, city skyline or similar.

Canon 18-55mm (Kit Lens)
Canon 50mm (1.8) - Prime
Canon 70-300mm

Any suggestions or comments are welcome.
ttonnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 2:10 PM   #5

I would consider the sig 8-16 if you do not need 2.8. It is very wide and make for a good landscape lens.

If you need 2.8 the tokina 11-16
Old Jul 18, 2011, 8:14 PM   #6

Hi ttonis

You asked for some input / opinions on ultra wide zooms. I have had the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 since 2007 and am quite happy with it.

I did have 1 copy that had a rather noticeable decentreing issue (soft on one side of the lens at the wide end). I exchanged for a second copy which is quite a lot better.

It still has a slight decentreing issue, however this is only when the focus is at the nearer / closer range (eg 5m or less). The focus is not always consistent, and often it focusses too close.

However as nearly all my photos with this lens are at f/6.3 or higher, the actual depth of field especially at 10mm is very long (from near to infinity). I get around this by manual focus, so it's not a huge practical problem. However yes, it would be handy if the focus & decentreing issues did not exist.

On the positive, the lens is tack sharp corner to corner, with minimal chromatic abberations and great contrast. My copy of the lens is especially good at 10mm at anything from f/5.6 upwards, which are the settings I most commonly usually use. The build quality is very high, plus it came with a good (practically sized & functional) lens hood. It is quite flare resistent and I don't find the 'slightly warmer Sigma colours' an issue (I can adjust if needed in post processing).

So I can't say exactly what's the best for you. Some people get 'dud copies' of lenses (from any manufacturer). At the end of the day, there is something to be said for getting Canon lenses for Canon camera bodies. All the rest of my lenses are Canon (including Ls). But I am happy with my Sigma ultrawide zoom. It was half the price of the Canon 10-22mm when I purchased it.

I've seen some mixed results about the Sigma 8-16mm. I am quite sure there are a number of very good copies out there. I'd like to see a Canon 8-15mm non 'fish eye' zoom that's sharp. It would complement my Canon 15-85mm and Canon 70-300mm L lenses very well. But the price would be quite high too. I don't need a fast ultrawide. I use a tripod for night photos anyway.

All the best with your decision and purchase. Please let us know what you get and share some photos!

Regards

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 2:31 PM   #7

The Canon EF-S 10-22mm wide angle is great piece of glass and is worth the cost. Divide the extra dollars spent over the useful life of the lens and it doesn’t really cost that much more per year to own the best.
ja_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:44 PM   #8

I have the Sigma 10-20 f/4 for my 50D. I haven't subjected it to as much anaylsis as Paul, but I'm quite happy with it. Mechanical quality actually edges out my Canon kit lens. My only gripe is that the hood provided cannot be used with a filter at the same time. See sample shots on a couple of my albums -

http://kellycook.zenfolio.com/fieldsofview

http://kellycook.zenfolio.com/p1062712290

Kelly Cook