Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 14, 2004, 12:47 AM   #1

Default i think this is a new question: sub 500 dollar lens for....

under 500 bucks, which is a Zoom lens to about 200mm (or more). The biggest thing being that it is best for low light conditions. Not the best wording used here, sorry, but hopefully you get the idea: i am currios what the best lens (best being measured by ability to take pictures in low light) that zooms to about 200, and is under 500 bucks.

Ok. whew.
shoelessone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2004, 9:02 PM   #2

when you say to 200, do you mean before or after the zoom factor on your DR?
i got a 10d recently, and the sigma 24-135, the lens seems to work wonderfully, and is $300 at www.bhphoto.com
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2004, 4:58 PM   #3

I have Canon's 28-135, which has image stabilization that lets you hand hold the camera and get sharp images even in dimmer light. remember that your camera gives excellent results with low noise even at higher ISO values, too. I love the lens, and it is less than $400 at B&H. On your camera, the lens would be the equivalent of about 46mm-215mm.
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2004, 8:21 PM   #4

Relevant to this discussion, I have a new DR and I'm looking at purchasing either the Canon 28-135 IS or the Sigma 24-135. I hear a lot of good things about the Canon lens but I haven't heard much one way or the other on the Sigma lens.

The Sigma is 2.8-4.5 versus the 3.5-5.6 on the Canon. Plus the Sigma is a bit wider on the wide end and about $100 bucks less to boot. I'm much less concerned about the price differential than purchasing the right lens but I'm interested in opinions out there on which lens is best. Thanks in advance for your help.

Paul
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 2:20 PM   #5

Default Glass speed...

The specs on the Sigma might be faster, but is it actually useable wide open? Many lenses apparently lose contrast and have other potential aritifacts when wide...

The Sigma may be less $$ and supposedly faster, but if the other lens actually performs as advsertised wide open, it might be better deal.

Cheers!
mscott821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2004, 1:19 AM   #6

There is a review of my Sigma 24-135 in the January '04 Popular Photography. As far as I am concerned, I am quite happy with it. AF is quite quick and responsive, and image quality seems to be great. However, I don't have the canon IS lens to compare to.
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 3:38 PM   #7

If you ever had the IS feature in your hands from Canon... Im sure you will find out you wish almost ever lens had it... 8) And it looks like Sigma is gonna pull of a similar line of IS lenses? But they call it OS. And only one lens has it right now. I myself, just picked up the 28-135 Canon IS. I plan to stick with canon unless Sigma pulls out some nice IS "OS" stuff. No matter what lens I get, it will have that feature...
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 3:57 PM   #8

I just ordered my DR from B&H, also the 28-135 IS lens (around $400). I read many reviews and asked many folks about the right lens for my purposes (hate tripods). I'll let you know how I like it when it gets here, although many folks here do seem to like it.

I'm also wanting a prime lens 50mm 1.8 for low light situations. I honestly don't know if you'll be able to find exactly what you want that's within your budget. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Amy
amytude is offline   Reply With Quote