Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:54 AM   #1

Default Advice on Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS

I have read numerous reviews, and it appears that there is a significant upgrade between the I and the II. I understand that. However, my question is for those that own or have owned the I.

Even though the II has better IS and shoots a better image (from what I have read), were you disappointed in the original lens? In other words, if the II were not introduced, would you still want the original? Were/are you happy with the results of the original?

Any comments or advice is appreciated. I know I want this lenses, but I don't know if the newer version is warranted for my skill level. I am an intermediate level hobbyist.

Thank you for your help.

Eric
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2011, 11:27 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I'm a wedding tog and use the mkI all the time. The shots are more than good enough to sell at whatever size I want with my 5DmkII so I have no intention of upgrading currently. I will be looking to add the new version at some point so I've got a backup but not yet. I know a few shooters who have moved and they love the new lens, it is much better glass, however will most make the use of it? Nope.

What are you wanting to shoot?

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2011, 1:10 PM   #3

Mark, thanks for the comments. Really, I want a quality zoom for everyday kind of things; nothing specific or special. My family gets together on weekends, so candid shots in the yard -- could be anything from playing volley ball or horse shoes to sitting on a porch swing. Nothing too demanding. I may shoot my nephew's baseball games some, or my niece's cheerleading (my son is grown). I know the 200 won't reach out like the 300 or 400, but I'm not looking for that much range for this particular lens.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 6:06 PM   #4

the 70-200 f4 IS is a really sweet piece of glass . lot smaller and a lot less $$ than the 2.8 . very sharp or at least mine is.
camerageak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:05 AM   #5

The 70-200 F4IS is a great lens, but not if you need F2.8. You need to look at what you intend to shoot. Cheer will often be indoors, you need F2.8 or better. Here is how I look at it. If you shoot outdoors, in hte daylight, the F4 is a perfect lens, light, sharp, easy to carry. If you shoot indoors, low light you need F2.8. If you are shooting only sport, the non-IS will work (what I have and love it). If you shoot portraits and sports, you should have the IS, if you have to have the best and can afford it, go IS mark 2, otherwise the Mark 1 is still a great lens. Steven
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2011, 5:24 PM   #6

Thanks. While I love having the best, sometimes your priorities won't let you. lol I think I am going to try to pick up the Mark I or the f4 if I can find a good deal.

Thanks again.

Eric
Old Aug 1, 2011, 6:37 PM   #7

you probably won't run into a real low light situation unless you are doing a reception and those people seem to always be afraid of the light. anyway F4 has served me well at many weddings with no problems .the IS is great.
camerageak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 7:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
Thanks. While I love having the best, sometimes your priorities won't let you. lol I think I am going to try to pick up the Mark I or the f4 if I can find a good deal.

Thanks again.

Eric
If you're doing sporting events in the evening or at night or indoors, the f4 won't get the job done unless you're OK with a lot of motion blur. I've owned the non-IS version & I currently use the IS MK I and either lens would be excellent choices. If you have your shutter speed set at 1/250 or faster, the IS isn't needed. The f4 isn't much cheaper than a mint used f2.8 non-is or even the MK I. Given your description of the events you wish to photograph, I wouldn't go with anything less than 2.8.

I do drool over the MK II myself, but I haven't seen anything that makes me think that I absolutely need to upgrade from my MK I. Of course, I had other needs that were more important to me. If I happen to nail a couple of huge sales and have some extra fun money to kick around, I may upgrade, but I don't feel a pressing need.

Last edited by jdnan; Aug 5, 2011 at 7:59 AM. Reason: typo
jdnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:20 AM   #9

f/2.8 to f/4 is only 1 stop difference, depending on your camera body just bump the ISO up a stop or two.
iso 3200 and even 6400 can be used quite effectively on the 5dmkII. Extended ISOs 12800 and 25600 are on the problematic side for noise

I've been using the 70-200 f/4L IS indoors and out for events lately on a 5dmkII and have seen no issues.
My 2.8 been living in the trunk a lot.

Only reason I still bring out the f/2.8 is when I want the shallower depth of field it can offer.

My gear of choice for events has become the 17-40 f/4L, 24-70 f/2.8L and 70-200 f/4L IS mounted on 2 5dmkII bodies. That was a great reduction in the weight I had to shlep around.

For sports I am thinking a 400 f/4L IS or 500 f/4L IS on a 7D would be preferred depending on what sport it was.
But then I don't do sports, so really have no valid opinion for that activity. .

Big and main thing is, you need to figure out what your needs are and try to equip yourself accordingly.
Since what works well for one person may not be right for another!

Last edited by PeterP; Aug 5, 2011 at 10:47 AM. Reason: added closing lines.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote