Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:54 AM   #1

Default 77mm UV Filter for 100-400/F4.5-5.6 L

I hear again and again that Hoya Filters are some of the best out there. I need to pick up a filter for my new Beast the 100-400 L and with no intention of skimping out - is the "Hoya PRO1 Digital - Filter - UV - 77 mm" worth paying double the price vs. a generic UV filter? In Canada I'm looking at an Amazon cost of $80 bucks vs $40 from local camera shop.

thoughts? opinions? alternatives?

**EDIT** sorry for posting wrong section (would have been better in misc section) - i found some great threads on filters and saw some really good examples on lenstips.com - (if an admin wants to delete this thread that's cool)
Thanks

Last edited by rothwellsmith; Aug 2, 2011 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Found info in other threads
rothwellsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:47 AM   #2

Hoya filters aren't necessarily some of the best. Hoya is just one of the more popular.

OEM filters are better, as are Helipoan, B+W, and Cokin.

Some of Hoya's product lines, as well as some of Tiffen's product lines, are better than the third-party and store brands, however.

If you really need a filter, get a good one. Any filter will degrade image quality to some extent. A good filter less so.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:44 PM   #3

Hi I use Hoya Pro 1 digital and I shop around Amazon uk seems to be half the price of most other places
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:58 PM   #4

Canon makes their own UV filter in this size which I have been using and with which I have been quite satisfied.
ropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 7:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Hoya filters aren't necessarily some of the best. Hoya is just one of the more popular.

OEM filters are better...
I respectfully disagree here. In my experience the OEM filters are vastly overpriced as compared to their technical specifications. I also have to disagree on the comment that Hoya isn't necessarily one of the best. They are without a doubt some of the best quality filters, along with B&W & Heliopan. I personally prefer the Hoya HD filters for their slim design & light transmission qualities. I also would suggest that there is a significant difference in quality between a Cokin/Tiffen filter, and the Hoya/B&W/Heliopan lines. There is a reason why the vast majority of working professionals use the latter three lines of filters. They get the job done with the desired consistent effect with the least loss of light.

If you're going to use a filter and you purchased premium glass, you certainly shouldn't devalue your lens investment with a mediocre filter.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 9:34 AM   #6

Singh Ray about 160$

OP you are in Toronto?
Give DownTown Camera at 55 Queen Street East and Vistek at 496 Queen Street East a try.
Most of my gear that did not come from B&H came from these 2 stores.

Used to deal a lot with HeadShots in Toronto but not since Henry's took them over.

Last edited by PeterP; Aug 5, 2011 at 9:44 AM. Reason: fixin bad link format
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 2:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnan View Post
I respectfully disagree here. In my experience the OEM filters are vastly overpriced as compared to their technical specifications. ...
I agree that they are overpriced, but that doesn't mean they aren't better.

Last edited by TCav; Aug 5, 2011 at 4:59 PM.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 9:17 AM   #8

See Good Times with Bad Filters.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 10:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Thanks for this!
JeannieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2011, 5:36 PM   #10

This is a passionate topic for many. On one side of the fence, the filter users claim that a filter will likely save the life of an expensive lens if dropped on the lens, and it makes cleaning the lens easier. The non-filter users claim that the filters degrade the image quality and will not have it in the way their glass.

For me, an expensive filter is a good choice given my activities, for my expensive lens. For you, well, it's up to you. If one were to leave their camera mounted to a tripod in a studio, a protective filter would seem out of place. If one were shooting in a dusty environment, I can't imagine not having a filter. For everything in-between, well, that's where the argument rages.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote