Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 3, 2011, 6:31 AM   #1

Default 2nd lens for a beginner?

Hi, just bought my first DSLR and chose the Canon 1100D with kit IS 18-55 lens.

As I am really new to the whole DSLR world, I'd like to ask for a little help and someone to point me in the right direction for my 2nd lens. I'd like to get myself a lens with better zoom than the standard lens. Shooting mainly to outside in the nature, beaches, mountains etc.

Looking for something entry level and cheap that would be enough for a beginner. Could even consider buying used. What are the best price/quality lenses to choose from? Thanks!

Ken
kenkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2011, 6:50 AM   #2

Your budget for this lens will be the deciding factor. For $400 it's an easy choice - I'd recommend the Tamron 70-300SP. For $600, the Canon 70-300mmIS.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:18 AM   #3

What do you want to shoot? Do you want to get wider than the 18-55 you have now, or do you want to get longer?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2011, 1:38 PM   #4

It would be good to know a budget but cheap isnt always the way to go maybe shoot a bit with what you have. The canon kit lens isnt that bad then look at what your needs are. If longer then the 55-250is is a good lens and also its light and gives good picture quality. its wide then you may have to save a bit more
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2011, 1:46 PM   #5

Until you try wider you won't know if you like it. or LOVE it! when i'm in city, i always want my UWA on. even a 17mm (crop body) isn't wide enough. Other people favour the 70-200 for the ability to get details. hard to say what you will like as you're just starting out. so a generic long lens might be a good buy. i wouldn't go too cheap as you'll need to replace it later on.

if f/2.8 lenses are in your budget, consider them. in the evening, or in large halls using flash, you'll be very glad you did.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2011, 3:46 PM   #6

canon ef-s 55-250 IS will be a inexpensive good second lens that meets your needs. For about 250 dollars this lens has very good performance. It is better then the lower price 70-300 long zooms in the 200 dollar range.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 8:05 AM   #7

One thing to keep in mind is that if by shooting "nature" you mean wildlife, unless you can get VERY close, none of the lenses mentioned above will really get the job done unless you're shooting large subjects like a moose, etc. That may be OK given your needs, but it's just something that you need to understand.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 4:29 PM   #8

hello
methinks the 55-250IS lens would be a good choice coz the you go from 18-55 to 55-250 and have a range completely covered
its is not the best lens in that range but it is the best lens in the price range and it has IS
the sigma and tamron 70-300 are stabilised but cost more
the non stabilised ar regular upto 200mm and macro from 200-300 with a 1:2 ratio
i do believe that at 200 the canon is sharper
take your camera and a mem card and go to a store and test it
good luck
i just bought a really old 70-210F4 lens and i find it sharper than both sigma 70-300APO non is and the 55-250
but thats just my tu-pence worth
cheers
enjoy summer
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 2:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkx View Post
Looking for something entry level and cheap that would be enough for a beginner. Could even consider buying used. What are the best price/quality lenses to choose from? Thanks!

Ken
Welcome to the forum.

The Canon 55-250mm IS is probably the best option. This lens has similar
build quality and optical quality to the Canon 18-55mm IS.
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/19...report--review
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 6:53 PM   #10

50mm 1.8 II is also a good lens for portraits not so much for the wildlife or nature. But great for family,friends and etc. I would recommend craigslist a used lens can cost from $100 to $80. Just shoot the seller with $50 or $60 some of them will sell it to you
idenny is offline   Reply With Quote