Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:51 AM   #1

Default Picked up a used 24-70mm f2.8L USM

I decided that I wanted to replace my Sigma 24-70 2.8 ex dg hsm with the older Canon ef 28-70mm f2.8L USM because I could buy one for about $800, the focusing speed in low light situation was suppossed to be faster, and it would give me another option for use in gymnasiums. The Sigma is actually a very nice lens & takes tack sharp photographs, but it just doesn't focus fast enough in low light conditions to use for sports. I met a lady here in Dallas who had listed a 28-70mm on Craigslist for $800. I tried to talk her down to $700, but she said the $800 was firm. When she arrived at the Chick-fil-A restaurant where we met, she had the newer 24-70mm. There was a little paint wear on the zoom ring, but other than that, the lens was exceptional. When I pointed out to her that she may have made a mistake and that she could easily get $300 more for the lens, she said that she knew that the lens was the 24-70, but that she didn't realize she had put 28-70 on Craigslist. She was closing down her photography studio and going back into the software industry and just wanted to get a reasonable price for the lens. I was THRILLED and I now have a 24-70 to replace my Sigma. By the way, I went to her site & thought her work was excellent. She said that she just didn't care for the business side of the job & wasn't very good at that part of photography, so she shut it down.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 2:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnan View Post
...... I was THRILLED and I now have a 24-70 to replace my Sigma.
Very nice! I'm sure you will enjoy using it. You can get great bargains
when you buy used lenses. I bought an absolutely mint as-new Sigma 105mm
macro lens at the weekend. The price was about 50% of the new price.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2011, 5:45 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Sweeeeeet deal, no wonder she didn't want to take $700 for it LOL. I'm sure you will enjoy that one!
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:18 PM   #4

Lucky you!!! I have that lens and LOOOOVE it. Of the ones' I have, its quickly become my favourite for portrait's. Congrats on the surprise scoop.

Canon 5D III
50mm 1.2 L l 24-70 F2.8 L l 70-200 F4 L l 40mm 2.8 l 100mmL 2.8 macro

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alainn...39490172728282
http://alainnbellephotography.smugmug.com/
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 8:33 AM   #5

Yes, I'm very blessed to have been able to get this lens. I am already enjoying it and it simply does focus faster. My Sigma is pristine and looks absolutely new, so I'm debating whether to sell it or keep it for a back up. On Friday, I'm heading to London for a week & then leaving London for Sweden for a week. I'm thinking about taking the Sigma lens which will function just fine for that trip since I won't be worrying about low light action shots. I am a little concerned about the riots going on over there and am wondering if my company will end up postponing this trip. It's like Vancouver after the NHL loss, only exponentially worse.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:07 AM   #6

Yeah, the look pretty bad over there and are still going on. It's all on the news here along with the stock markets. Hopefully you'll still get to go and if you do, that if you do, you remain safe.

Canon 5D III
50mm 1.2 L l 24-70 F2.8 L l 70-200 F4 L l 40mm 2.8 l 100mmL 2.8 macro

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alainn...39490172728282
http://alainnbellephotography.smugmug.com/
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote