Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:55 PM   #1

Default IS big difference?

I'm looking at buying a second hand 70-200mm f4 l usm lense, I'm shooting with a T2i and have the kit lense, will not having IS make Abigail difference, what will I notice, and also, would you recommend this lense?
bozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:02 PM   #2
Super Moderator

who is Abigail and why does she care?

in all seriousness though. the short answer is it depends. Briefly, if you are shooting any action or something where the subject is moving, then it won't make as much of a difference. If you are shooting more stationary objects in lower light, then it could make a difference.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 6:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
who is Abigail and why does she care?

in all seriousness though. the short answer is it depends. Briefly, if you are shooting any action or something where the subject is moving, then it won't make as much of a difference. If you are shooting more stationary objects in lower light, then it could make a difference.

Abigail was supposed to be " a big " trying to type on smart phones, doesn't make me look so smart!!!

I have kids so it would be a lot of kids and wildlife, maybe some landscapes!! I'm going to get either this lense or get a new 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM, which do you feel would be better for me.
bozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 6:34 PM   #4

i have the 70-200- f4 is and yes the is makes a big difference especially when you go to the 200 end.it is really hard to handhold and get sharp pics.at least for me
camerageak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 6:38 PM   #5

I just sold the 70-200 f4/L (non IS) as I have figured out I must shake like a paint mixer. Like Hards80 stated, if you have enough light to keep the shutter speeds up it it one sharp lens. I purchased the 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS USM to replace it. The IS alone was worth the upgrade for my use.

The 28-135 is a good everyday lens, pretty sharp stopped down but might be a bit short for wildlife IMO.
PhrozeN_FisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 7:23 PM   #6

In film days I used a Tamron SP 70-210 lens, of course with no vibration compensation, and I had no trouble with OOF or blurry pictures. I just learned how to hold lens and camera properly. I have IS on my current long lens (100-400L), but I haven't noticed OOF pictures when (quite often) I have it turned off. Again, it's probably down to the discipline I learned years ago because at that time there was no option. My 24-105L also has IS but I really see no point in it.

Speaking strictly personally, I would happily buy a non-IS lens as for me it doesn't seem to make much difference.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 9:57 AM   #7

I think it depends on how well you can hold the camera/lens steady at the longer end. I have the 24-70 which is non IS and with paying better attention, the photos can be tack sharp. On my 70-200 F4 IS, its always on and I find that as I'm not using a tripod and have it at the 200 focal length quite often the IS does come in handy for me....but I also am not steady with my hands at that length. So, it just really depends I think.

For me, with the longer lenses, I'd rather have the option of turning it on or off at my choosing than not.

Canon 5D III
50mm 1.2 L l 24-70 F2.8 L l 70-200 F4 L l 40mm 2.8 l 100mmL 2.8 macro

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alainn...39490172728282
http://alainnbellephotography.smugmug.com/
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote