Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 24, 2011, 7:47 PM   #1

Default judging lenses

i am going to disney world in sept. and i don't want to take any of my L lenses cause i would slit my wrist if something happened to any of them so after doing some (alot) of research i bought a used canon 18-135 is for $275. after playing with it some it appears it will do a good job for what i want but the purpose of this post is how pro sites versus consumers judge a lenses .the pro sites pick a lens to pieces to the point your scared to buy anything. if it is not L quality then apparently they just don't measure up.then you look at reviews by average joe who has used a lens and all they care about is if the lens will take a decent picture. not every lens is going to be L but they will still do a good job.
camerageak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:18 PM   #2

I'm just curious that you own "L" lenses but don't want to use them on a trip. Why buy them at all?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:23 PM   #3

Pros have a more critical eye than newbies, so they're more likely to find things that might not bother you upon initial inspection, but that you may find irritating over time. Also, a newbie will give a lens a good review if it does what they want; that doesn't mean it will do what you want.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2011, 4:47 AM   #4

i have a 24-105 f4 70-200 f4is and my favorite 17-55 (which i know is not L) that i use for weddings and having to replace 1 if i dropped it or it got stolen is something i just can't do at this moment. so i bought a cheap lens that will work but won't kill me if something happens to it
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerageak View Post
...i bought a used canon 18-135 is for $275. after playing with it some it appears it will do a good job for what i want....
That is the primary requirement. I also have the Canon 18-135mm and
I use it a lot. It also does what I want. The Canon 15-85mm would do it
just slightly better, but at more than twice the price.

Quote:
...but the purpose of this post is how pro sites versus consumers judge a lenses .the pro sites pick a lens to pieces to the point your scared to buy anything....
The pro sites check a few important parameters. They usually take a shot
of a resolution chart to measure centre, mid and edge of frame sharpness.
They also shoot a square grid to measure distortion.

You can do similar tests yourself. A page of text is a good test for
sharpness. The tiles on my kitchen wall will show up any barrel or
pin-cushion distortion. High contrast shots outdoors will tend to show
up chromatic aberration in the form of colour fringing.

Shots like this are a good test for CA. Canon 18-135mm on 500D/T1i
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2011, 7:28 PM   #6

if a person just looked at the pro sites they would never buy anything but L. it is hard to hold a walkaround lens to the same standard as one that costs 3 times as much. i see the benefits of good glass that is why i have some but it just surprised me how the same lens can be judged so differently by 2 different groups of people .
Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:23 PM   #7

Part of the experience of using a lens is learning its shortcomings and how to avoid them. Given that, we all learn to take good photos with not-so-good lenses. Good lenses just have fewer shortcomings.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 4:35 AM   #8

Hi I think you are right the 18-135 will cover you, I wonder though if you will be critical of the results given that you have L lenses. I do the parks in Orlando a lot, granddaughters live there and I tend to take just one lens for the day and shoot in it constraints. Not ideal but easy to carry.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 7:20 PM   #9

i won't be printing anything bigger than 4x6 so i hope it will get the job done. from the practice shots i have taken it seems to do ok and if something happens to it then i'm out $275 not $1200 or more . if somebody was paying me to do it i would definitly use one of the good ones but when it comes to my kids and there spouses i am pretty sure nobody is going to cough up any $$