Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 12, 2011, 2:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion318 View Post
Question is can i do without the 18-55mm zoom range for normal day to day shots.
I'm getting a 55-250 for the zoom range but i'm not sure if i would need the shorter range or if "leg zoom" is enough.

Thanks for your input
Getting back to the OP's question, no you can't get by without the zoom.

The kit lens has good image quality and should not be a concern for the beginner. The 50mm 1.8 has it's place, and some will swear by the virtues of foot zooming, but for the majority of users the kit lens will be far more fun to use.

The exception to my recommendation would be if you have a highly specialized form of shooting, i.e. you like to shoot low light events to the exclusion of all else. For general purpose lens, a person cannot beat the value of the kit lens.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2011, 2:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpc View Post
Thats a laugh. The 50mm 1.8 is streets ahead of the kit lens.
Really? Elitism over a $100 lens? It's ugly enough when the L users get that way.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2011, 3:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Where their ranges overlap, the 18-55 is as good a lens than the 50/1.8, it's stabilized, and it zooms. It's just 4 stops slower at 50mm.
Thats a laugh. The 50mm 1.8 is streets ahead of the kit lens.
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (Tested) vs. Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II (Tested)

Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS vs. Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

By which streets?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2011, 3:45 PM   #14

back to the OP....are you new to digital photography with a DSLR from a P&S? If so, keep the kit lens. It is much improved over its previous version and will provide a zoom range you can learn with and decide what you like when you wish to purchase a prime.

All 3 lenses you've listed are great for someone whose starting. I've had them all and the one I've kept is the 50 1.8. When I shot mainly with my T1i I found that the lens which stayed on my body most was the 55-250 but that's because I was shooting my daughter and liked to stand back to get the shots.

JohnG was correct that the 50 on a crop, while good, is limiting in its size. On a full frame its ideal, I've found and quite useful. But on my 60D I use it only when I want a portrait shot where the persons head/shoulders fills the frame.

Hope this helps.

Canon 5D III
50mm 1.2 L l 24-70 F2.8 L l 70-200 F4 L l 40mm 2.8 l 100mmL 2.8 macro

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alainn...39490172728282
http://alainnbellephotography.smugmug.com/
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2011, 4:12 PM   #15

Not everyone Needs a kit lens! The 50mm is far superior to it.
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2011, 6:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Not everyone Needs a kit lens!
... but a kit lens is an excellent tool for finding out what you do need.

Quote:
The 50mm is far superior to it.
No, it's not.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 6:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion318 View Post
hey guys,

I'm about to buy my Canon 600D and i'm wondering if i should buy the body only or not.

I can get a good deal on the body here in Portugal, and then get the 1.8 from amazon.
If i buy the body+18-55mm it comes out at about the same price as the above.

I've seen everybody raving about the 50mm f1.8's better image quality and it's at a great price atm.

Question is can i do without the 18-55mm zoom range for normal day to day shots.
I'm getting a 55-250 for the zoom range but i'm not sure if i would need the shorter range or if "leg zoom" is enough.

Thanks for your input
It is possible to do without the 18-55 zoom range. Depends on how and what you plan to shoot. But there may be times where you find yourself not having enough space to step back enough to fit all of your subjects in the 50mm field of view. Zoom with feet is fine until you back into a wall or edge of a cliff. Not a show stopper, you could take several shots and stitch them together with Canon Photostitch software. Not as quick as turning the zoom to the wide and click.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2011, 3:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
... but a kit lens is an excellent tool for finding out what you do need.

No, it's not.
Yes it is. Superb in low light, awesome IQ, low DOF. Not everyone wants a zoom. I have used the 18-55 and while it is a good lens i find the 50mm far superior.
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2011, 7:25 AM   #19

Just because you find it more useful doesn't make it a better lens.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 7:56 AM   #20

Again, I have the 50mm 1.8. I think Koolpc is way overselling it's capabilities. But it's important not to lose site of the benefits of each.

The biggest benefit to the zoom is the wide angle. if you want to take shots indoors - family shots, 50mm on an aps-c crop sensor camera is not wide enough for a lot of shots. Same is true for architecture shots outside and a number of landscape shots. The truth is - you cannot always back up as far as you need to. That's the risk with a 50mm lens.

Now, no doubt the 50mm 1.8 will provide ability to begin shooting in low light without flash. That's a definite benefit. It will allow you to begin shooting with shallower depth-of-field. But again, let's not overstate things. It is a consumer grade lens and offers consumer grade image quality. The IQ is very similar to what you get from a kit lens. As far as "superb in low light" - it is certainly better than the kit lens, but it's very slow to focus compared to better quality lenses. Again, it's a $100 lens. Koolpc is selling this lens like it's an "L" - it's not. It's a very good bargain. For a beginner photographer, it's a fine addition to the kit lens but, in my opinion a poor replacement for the kit lens - on an aps-c camera.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote