Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 13, 2011, 9:02 AM   #21

Hi Orion,

I am not sure what you are planning to shoot.

If these are your only choices I would go with the kit lens because of the flexibility.

However, having used both 50D and 7D, I would not be happy with (just) either lens.

For me the kit lens was just awful at indoor basketball games with bad lighting.

I have the 50mm f/1.4 (assume it has similar functionality as the f/1.8) and it is nice for portraits and it works well along the baseline with limited ISO, but I hardly ever use it now that I moved from the 50D to 7D.

But as several have said the 50mm is not good for getting group photos at parties in your living room.

I have found the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 non-IS a very good compromise lens that I use indoors, even in low light, plus outdoors and it makes some pretty good portraits and environmental portraits.

Since I got the Tamron, the kit lens has been sitting in a drawer.

I know it is more money but you really need to determine what types of shots you want to shoot to pick a lens.

I just hate that I spent money in the past on lenses that I later but down and never use again.

Good Luck,
Andy

Last edited by griffina6; Sep 13, 2011 at 1:54 PM. Reason: Change typo of 50D to 50mm
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:44 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffina6 View Post
Hi Orion,

I am not sure what you are planning to shoot.

If these are your only choices I would go with the kit lens because of the flexibility.

However, having used both 50D and 7D, I would not be happy with (just) either lens.

For me the kit lens was just awful at indoor basketball games with bad lighting.

I have the 50mm f/1.4 (assume it has similar functionality as the f/1.8) and it is nice for portraits and it works well along the baseline with limited ISO, but I hardly ever use it now that I moved from the 50D to 7D.

But as several have said the 50D is not good for getting group photos at parties in you living room.

I have found the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 non-IS a very good compromise lens that I use indoors, even in low light, plus outdoors and it makes some pretty good portraits and environmental portraits.

Since I got the Tamron the kit lens has been sitting in a drawer.

I know it is more money but you really need to determine what types of shots you want to shoot to pick a lens.

I just hate that I spent money in the past on lenses that I later but down and never use again.

Good Luck,
Andy
I think you mean 50mm not 50D!
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2011, 1:53 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpc View Post
I think you mean 50mm not 50D!
Yes you are correct. Thanks. I will edit.
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 11:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpc View Post
Yes it is. Superb in low light, awesome IQ, low DOF. Not everyone wants a zoom. I have used the 18-55 and while it is a good lens i find the 50mm far superior.

If someone is entering into DSLR territory from a P&S without prior experience the learning curve in some respects will be more difficult with a prime and may frustrate the OP due to the lack of Zoom. One of the more appealing aspects of a P&S is the zoom factor and if someone is use to that they are going to have a better time with a DSLR which offers some zoom at first.

I know that when I made the switch, even with the kit lens it took some getting use too at first. I don't think I would have liked going directly to the 50mm and only having that lens as an option.

The kit lens isn't the best lens on the market but its a great lens to start with and if someone could increase their budget to include the 50mm 1.8 I'd say go for it.

Unless you know how to shoot with the 50mm (meaning that you have a good expectation of range performance) when your starting out it will seem limiting on a crop body.

Canon 5D III
50mm 1.2 L l 24-70 F2.8 L l 70-200 F4 L l 40mm 2.8 l 100mmL 2.8 macro

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alainn...39490172728282
http://alainnbellephotography.smugmug.com/
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 4:38 PM   #25

Each of the lenses has it's purpose. The 50 does some things better, while the kit does other things better. So depending on what you are planning to shoot. One might be better then the other.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 6:52 PM   #26

hello
me thinks the 18-55 will have more uses for you
that being said the 50mm is a very good lens
but 5on is almost on the widest side of the 18-55
unless you plan to go ultra wide later at an increased cost
the kit lens is really quite good, slow but it has its purposes
the 50mm can be bought later once you figure out your needs
happy shooting
pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:01 AM   #27

Since I'm the "new guy" here, I'll add my 2 cents:

I bought a 50D kit with the 18-200 kit lens. I love that lens! It's a great walk about lens for me and stuff I'm taking pics of. (Car shows, beach scenes, outdoor stuff and some indoor stuff as well.) I then picked up the 50 f/1.8 for shooting pics at fire calls and training excersises. (I'm a volunteer FF). What a great lens!!! The night shots are clear and crisp, with the sky coming out better than it actually is!! I highly recommend this lens.

So my advice: Get the kit lens, and when finances allow, pick up the 50 f/1.8. You won't be sorry either way.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2011, 7:03 PM   #28

you will want to have the wider end of the focal lengths particularly with a cropped frame. It will be tough to use the 50mm prime indoors for shooting most things. Its a great lens....super for its price. it it when you can but get the kit lens.

I would only forgo the kit lens if you already had a zoom in that range or were going to get a higher quality zoom that covered that range. But thats probably a 500-700 dollar investment.

If you were getting a full frame body it might make sense to get a 50mm prime instead of kit lens....depending on your shooting style.
Krusteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2011, 3:36 AM   #29

Certainly, to use constantly objective of initial level - it is not good. But, on travel, for simplification of weight - it is possible. It is not necessary to neglect work of engineers.
Excalebur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2011, 5:29 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalebur View Post
Certainly, to use constantly objective of initial level - it is not good. But, on travel, for simplification of weight - it is possible. It is not necessary to neglect work of engineers.
Now type that in english please!! lol
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote