Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 24, 2011, 6:57 PM   #21

Well thanks to JimC we now know the lens that was clearly marked as a canon on the bubble wrap is a Sony mount lens. So now the question goes buy another used lens for this and try out the Canon 30D with the option to move the lens over to a new body in 6 months or a year if the 30D doesn't do good enough or work out........ or just give up and return everything.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 7:07 PM   #22
Administrator

It sure looks like a Minolta AF mount to my eyes. Here's a downsized crop from a quick snapshot showing the lens mount on one of my Tamron lenses for Minolta AF cameras.
Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 7:12 PM   #23

Yep as always ask TCav and JimC and one of them has the correct answer in like 30 seconds. OUTSTANDING group of people in these forums.

dave
Old Sep 24, 2011, 8:19 PM   #24

The AF drive screw is a dead giveaway that it's not a Canon. Plus, Canon lenses always had (at least) 8 contacts.

Last edited by TCav; Sep 24, 2011 at 8:24 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 5:09 PM   #25

Thanks TCav I am not that skilled in looking at lenses and gear for stuff like that. I am more skilled at picking up the camera playing with the settings and getting the shot I need for the newspaper. Thanks for your time with this matter I really APPRECIATE it!

dave
Old Sep 26, 2011, 5:40 PM   #26
Super Moderator

Sounds like you had some fun with this one! The Canon 30D is a good beast and will give great clean shots to ISO 800, I've used it at 1600 for paid work but a bit reluctant to do so at 3200 for anything more than 8x6 prints. If you have it along with a good lens it will give great results, use it with a Minolta lens.... not so much
Old Sep 26, 2011, 6:08 PM   #27

Thanks Mark for the reply. I am getting a lens ordered that will fit this camera and give it a whirl. yeah its been way too much fun so far. I'll let you know how it works out after I have had a chance to actually test it out. Also thanks for the advise on the ISO I heard from one other ex-user that ISO1600 should only be used when doing sports and the output is computer monitor or small news prints, if I need full size cover images go with ISO800.

dave
Old Sep 26, 2011, 6:49 PM   #28
Super Moderator

I would say that newsprint at ISO 3200 is fine as the resolution isn't there so do some noise reduction and you are good.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 7:28 AM   #29

Thanks Mark I have NoseNinja software installed on my computer that has worked for me in the past and I will do some test shots at ISO1600 and 3200 and see how they turn out and let the editor also check them out as well.

dave
Old Sep 27, 2011, 7:37 AM   #30
Super Moderator

Sounds good to me. As long as you get the exposure right you should be perfectly fine.