Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:25 PM   #1

Default Canon 30D Question

For some reason I still have yet to figure out my newspaper editor gave me a used Cannon 30D "he picked up for a steal" (his words although he would not tell me how much he got it and the lens for) and asked me to use it for some upcoming newspaper photo work and see if I liked it for my general use. I am the proud owner and user of a Fuji HS20 and never found it to be a bad camera or had an quality problems.

The lens I got with the body was Tamron 28-200mm I believe 3.5-5.6. Is that a good lens? Would their be a better all around zoom lens I could get that would be better for newspaper use. I am used to long zoom ranges of the Fuji HS10 and HS20.

I had a Sony body in the past that got killed by smoke and stuff from covering a lot of fire-rescue events so the plan this time is to mount one lens and keep that one lens on it as much as possible.

Thanks in advance for any lens advise.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2011, 7:14 AM   #2

The Canon 30D has an 8MP sensor, which is probably good enough to show the flaws in the Tamron 28-200.

I suggest you put it through its paces before you use it for work, plus get your editor to agree to pay you for the photos whether they're good or not.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:09 PM   #3

TCav so you don't like the Tamron lens? What would you suggest instead for a all around news photogapher type zoom lens?

As for the editor this is his idea and I will get paid to take the pictures no matter what happens.

dave
Old Sep 23, 2011, 6:52 AM   #4

The Tamron 28-200 gets pretty bad reviews wherever you look. The Tamron 18-250 Di-II VC PZD and Sigma 18-250 DC OS, are better, but still not very good.

As I recall, this is the reason you abandoned your Sony dSLR gear in the first place. It seems your editor is trying to paint you into the same corner you were in before, and he's trying to do it with 5 year old technology.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:45 AM   #5

The gear was all free and 100% the editors idea. I am going to play with it this weekend and next weekend and see what it can and can't do. The reason I got rid of my Sony gear was that when I was shooting fire-rescue things I was having to change lenses in order to get the shots needed especially in low light situations and the AF sensor and AF and focus functions stopped working, they fixed it the first time but proved to be costly when I got estimates to fix it when they wouldn't fix it again. The plan this time is to use the camera with one lens attached and if I need more or less reach use the Fuji that is if this camera pans out.

Yeah its 5 year old technology but its all free gear from the editor and he wants me to try it and yes I am getting paid every week no matter what happens, so I might as well try it to make the editor happy. BUT... the Fuji will close by and ready to go.

I also got a total of 3 batteries, 2 chargers and 2 16GB Kingston 266x Compact Flash Cards.

Will report back after a test shoot at the local wine festival tommorrow.

dave
Old Sep 23, 2011, 1:05 PM   #6

Superzoom lenses can act as bellows, sucking in air and dust as you zoom. Keep an eye out for that.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:08 PM   #7

well I feel so stupid or I should say the Editor is stupid maybe he had no clue. I just now pulled all the gear out of the box he gave me. I had already pulled the batteries and charged them. The lens is an EOS mount and the camera uses EF/EF-S mount so the lens doesn't fit the camera.

So bad the newspaper office this all goes on Monday to see what he wants to do. I understand his idea is that I will get better images since I can use the multi fps mode and shot faster shot to shot.........

But them again the editor before he took over the paper was a reporter and only took very few photos and used a Canon point and shoot for all the images he had to take which he sad was about 3 to 4 a week. Mostly had a photographer on staff take the photos.

dave
Old Sep 24, 2011, 3:09 AM   #8

"EOS" is Canon's Electro-Optical System, which includes the "EF" lens mount. You might want to give that another try.

In case you don't have one, here's a link to the 30D Instruction Manual.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 9:38 AM   #9

The guy who sold the stuff to the editor claimed the lens fit...... Thanks for the link to the manual.

dave
Old Sep 24, 2011, 9:40 AM   #10

The lens mount barrel is smaller than the opening by an 1/8 of an inch maybe slightly less but its very clear the lens doesn't fit the mount period.

dave