Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:49 AM   #1

Default Best zoom with macro for D7

I just bought a D7 and would like an all purpose, more or less, lens that has a macro. Ay suggestions?
Caryl
carylwithay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:50 PM   #2

There's the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 that's a 1:2.3 macro, but it's not stabilized and it's been discontinued. The replacement is the 17-70mm f/2.8-4.0 which is stabilized, but it's only 1:2.7 macro, and it's not as good optically.

You might try the Canon 18-135. I think that's as close to what you're looking for as you're likely to get.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2011, 4:36 PM   #3

It's tough to find an "all purpose" lens that's going to give you what you want. It might be better to start with a quality zoom and use extension tubes to achieve the macro capabilities. Another alternative is to get the Canon 100MM f2.8 Macro, non-L version and a zoom lens. It's an extremely good lens for the money. I picked a pristine copy up on Craigslist for $300 back in the spring. Most macro work is done on a tripod, so IS wouldn't be a factor unless you're hand holding the camera.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 5:36 PM   #4

Caryl, I expect you meant the Canon 7D (not a 'D7'?)

You've been given good advice above - the older non stabilised Sigma 17-70mm was a lens I once considered, for it's zoom range and the 'somewhat' macro possibility (but ended up not buying).

I have the Canon 100mm f2.8 USM (non L) lens, which has true macro (1:1) capability. It's very sharp, has a good working range and the focus & handling of it is great (and very important in my opinion... eg non extending when focussing).

Most true macro work requires a tripod and steady subject too - because the area in focus is so small. The Canon 100mm f2.8 works for many people very well.

Let us know the outcome... Best regards.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2011, 6:26 PM   #5

Thank you so much Paul and Jerry. I just ordered it new from Adorama and it comes with a bunch of freebees too so I am a happy camper.
Caryl
carylwithay is offline   Reply With Quote