Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:39 AM   #1

Default lens upgrade

i know this been ask before and i did the search but came up with different opinions i was looking at the Tamron 17-50 lens to upgrade over the 18-55 is kit i would like to know is it a big upgrade as for low light compared to the kit or not really worth it and is the VC necessary thanks
cab ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2011, 4:02 AM   #2

While the Canon 18-55 IS is good for a kit lens, the unstabilized version of the Tamron 17-50/2.8 is a big improvement. The Tamron has a lot less chromatic aberration, and where their ranges overlap, it's also a lot sharper. Then, of course, there's that 2-stop advantage at the long end. The Tamron can take the same photo with a shutter speed that's 1/4 as long as the Canon needs.

So if the Canon needs a shutter speed of 1/30, where image stabilization would certainly be a good idea, the Tamron could use a shutter speed of 1/125, where stabilization wouldn't be necessary. But if you want the larger aperture so you can take photos you can't with the Canon, then not having the stabilization would be a problem.

As for stabilized, large aperture, standard zooms, the stabilized Tamron isn't optically as good as its unstabilized sibling. If you need stailization, the Sigma 17-50/2.8 or 17-70/2.8-4.0 might be better choices. Unfortunately, though, neither is as good, optically, as the unstabilized Tamron.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 4:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab ny View Post
i know this been ask before and i did the search but came up with different opinions i was looking at the Tamron 17-50 lens to upgrade over the 18-55 is kit i would like to know is it a big upgrade as for low light compared to the kit or not really worth it and is the VC necessary thanks
The 18-55mm IS kit lens is quite good, so you shouldn't expect to see a
radical difference in image quality.

The Tamron is quite a bit faster at the long end, so it will be significantly
better in low light. It also has better sharpness, contrast and colour when
compared to the Canon kit lens. The cheaper non-VC Tamron is the star
performer in this category.

Lots of info in this recent thread:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...raits-t1i.html
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 8:50 AM   #4

thanks a lot
cab ny is offline   Reply With Quote