Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:31 AM   #11
Super Moderator

Or just a wider prime, as you already have the 50. By adding say the 28 f1.8, you will be in a good position for low-light shooting.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 4:23 PM   #12

marubex

As you've given more information in your later posts - my suggestion is probably 'outdated' now. Please let us know what you decide.

Peri... do you have the 28mm f1.8? If so... what's your opinion of it? From memory you have a 35mm prime (too?), right?

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2011, 3:46 AM   #13
Super Moderator

I used to have the 28 f1.8 -> 45mm equivalent on crop.

Loved it! So did/does Dustin as I recall.

The 35 f2 -> 55 equivalent was too long for my taste and it's a very old design with a noisy AF motor and relatively poor build quality.

The 28 by comparison has very fast and silent AF and is much better built. Just like the 85 f1.8.

I sold mine when I moved to FF, but it's the only lens I've sold that I've ever really regretted. I have had my eye on getting a new one, but really I'm waiting (probably in vain) for an updated version of the 35 f2 that I can use with my 5D2. I have no interest in the 35 f1.4 - too big, too heavy, too expensive, too professional looking and I really don't need f1.4.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 5:57 PM   #14

Peri...

Thanks for your detailed, understandable and helpful reply... much appreciated.

I have decided some time ago that in the future I will only buy lenses with USM (or equivalent) focus.

In that way, I'm waiting for a new Canon 50mm f1.8 (vIII) - that has USM, solid build quality, sharp wide open, smooth bokeh and can focus relatively close (obviously I don't mean for it to be a 1:1 macro), but say +/- 40cm MFD would be nice.

Like you, I might not need f1.4 (makes everything bigger, etc - plus dof gets razor thin for many applications...)

If I ever find a good 28 f1.8 lying around (or for sale at a steal) I'll be sure to give you the heads up.

Cheers.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2011, 8:55 PM   #15

Thank you. The sigma 30 f1.4 and the canon 28 f1.8 look very interesting... also the 85 f1.8...
But not sure if I should go the prime route right now...
Would the sigma 17-50 OS be much of an improvement over my 18-55 IS?
Also reading some more found about the Tammron 17-50 (non IS) which is supposed to be very sharp. What are your thoughts? I found some people complaining one side was sharper than the other?! Is its AF speed good enough for kids and dogs?
Thank you..
marubex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 2:19 AM   #16

The Sigma 17-50/2.8 OS is probably as good a stabilized large aperture stardard zoom as there is for anywhere near it's price. Where their ranges overlap, it's better than the 18-55 kit lens.

The Tamron 17-50/2.8 non-VC is probably as good an unstabilized large aperture stardard zoom as there is for anywhere near it's price. Where their ranges overlap, it's better than the Sigma. It's just not stabilized.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote