Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 27, 2011, 6:43 PM   #1

Default Indoor lens suggestion?

Hi, I am looking for a low light capable not too expensive lens..
Current set up,
T2i
430 ex ii
18-55
55-250
50 f1.8
I was in the market for a macro lens, but might postpone it as I find I need this lens more.
What are your thoughts on the sigma 17-50 OS?

Thank you
marubex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2011, 7:24 PM   #2

The Sigma 17-50/2.8 is probably the best stabilized large aperture, standard zoom lens in the sub- $1,000 price range. If you can do without the stabilization (and I see you have a flash, so you very well might) the unstabilized (non-VC) Tamron 17-50/2.8 is better.

BTW, there's also the stabilized Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.0 that's pretty good. Plus, it's a 1:2.7 macro lens.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:24 PM   #3

Hi marubex

Interesting what you wrote...

In some the 50mm f1.8 would probably be your best 'low light capable' lens at the moment, as it's the one with the largest aperture. I have that lens, and it's a nice lens (especially for the price) - however to me the focus (both slow / noisy and quite inaccurate at times- which can be critical in low light / shallow depth of field) is its weak point.

On the other hand, your 18-55 isn't too bad either (if it has IS - particularly), for indoor (eg architecture).

TCav has given you some good advice. The Canon 17-55mm is praised by many as a good low light zoom (it's got USM, has IS and is sharp). Though of course it costs a lot.

It depends... do you want a zoom 'limited' to f2.8 or a prime (which are available in much larger apertures)? What will you be focussing on - people, objects, architecture? (that will determine your needs, particularly focal length).

I'm waiting (patiently?) for Canon to hopefully put out a new 50mm f1.8 - one that has USM focussing (I've decided some years ago I won't buy any lens that doesn't have USM focussing). To me, that would be a great low light lens (I like the 50mm perspective on a crop camera). On my 7D the current 50mm f1.8 does well... but it's focus isn't bullet proof.

The other criteria for a good (indoor) low light lens are: sharp wide open and good bokeh (with minimal distortions, and CA). If Canon were to release a new lens like that I'd buy it. If it has IS ... all the better! (The Canon 100mm f2.8 macro L hints more medium primes might get IS in the future?!)

I have a Canon 100mm f2.8 macro (non L) - which actually does quite good in medium light. In some ways I prefer it over my Canon 50mm f1.8 because of the focus speed and accuracy. It also makes a decent portrait lens (though a bit long).

Maybe the Canon 60mm f2.8 macro is another lens you could consider... it's sharp, relatively good price, has USM focus, makes both a great macro, v good portrait lens ....

Let us know how you go....

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 3:02 AM   #4

your setup is what i had I got the sigma 17-70 its great lens for the price
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 1:18 PM   #5

Thanks for your input. I would be using it for people i guess 80-85% and the rest would be some "scenery" and things that grab my atention lol!
I find the 50 too tight for some of the indoor stuff. So my thinking was a zoom unless your think it won't be much of an improvement over the kit lens (today I had to shoot at ISO 1600 and above). I also have to shoot some other stuff indoor where a tele would be needed, but can't afford a 70-200 f2.8 either in price or weight.
Any recomendations for the needs above would be greatly appreciated...
Old Oct 28, 2011, 2:37 PM   #6

The kit lens isn't bad, though it isn't very fast. Better lenses will be faster, but also more expensive.

Does the kit lens have a zoom range that would work for you if it were faster?
Old Oct 28, 2011, 3:21 PM   #7

Tcav, yes, I am quite happy with the kit lens for outdoors, and it is really light...
Yes, if it were faster I guess it would be ideal for my indoor in tight places stuff. And would need to compliment it with something longer for "far away" indoor stuff
Old Oct 28, 2011, 5:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubex View Post
Tcav, yes, I am quite happy with the kit lens for outdoors, and it is really light...
Yes, if it were faster I guess it would be ideal for my indoor in tight places stuff.
Then I'll refer you to my earlier message. But remember: Larger apertures mean more glass which mean bigger and heavier, not to mention more expensive.

BTW, have you tried your kit lens with your flash?

Quote:
And would need to compliment it with something longer for "far away" indoor stuff
How big is your house?
Old Oct 28, 2011, 6:51 PM   #9

yes, I have tried the kit lens with flash. But there are times when flash is not allowed and that is when I have found my self shooting at pretty high ISO.
Oh, the far away stuff is for school events, and some outdoor night- twilight things.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 5:51 AM   #10

Quote:
yes, I have tried the kit lens with flash. But there are times when flash is not allowed and that is when I have found my self shooting at pretty high ISO.
Then any of the f/2.8 zooms I mentioned in my earlier post should do the job.

Quote:
Oh, the far away stuff is for school events, and some outdoor night- twilight things.
For that, you'll need at least a 70-200mm f/2.8.