Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 8, 2004, 12:07 AM   #11

Ohenry,

Welcome to the IS club :-) It sure is addictive! If canon only made a 24-70L IS .....

Some F2.8 shots I took with the same lens:

http://www.pbase.com/image/21222314
http://www.pbase.com/image/21314198

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2004, 12:24 AM   #12

I'm looking to trade in my 70-200 f4 USM for a Sigma 2.8. Would that be foolish? I'm looking at the basketball court.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2004, 12:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by barthold
Ohenry,

Welcome to the IS club :-) It sure is addictive! If canon only made a 24-70L IS .....

Barthold
Thanks Barthold. It's also my first L lens, so it's a double for me

Nice pics, btw
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2004, 1:12 AM   #14

I'm anxious to test the waters, to check out Sigma's ability to provide a worthwhile product. My brother -- that plastic surgeon who is a bit too technical for me most of the time -- told me all about the new Sigma development of pixelization with 3 layers, one layer for each color. It made some sense to me but the examples also looked almost "too" sharp. However, that's what I want...sharp. If nothing else I'll discover Sigma's hype and it it stands up when investigated by a purchase.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 2:50 AM   #15

Keep us posted on that development, Norm. I have one of the Tamron 28-75 Di lenses that I have been very pleased with. I know Sigma puts out some pretty good glass in their upper end series.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2004, 3:55 AM   #16

Default Sigma Foveon CMOS Sensor

Whoa Norm! .....You switching cameras? Your Brother the Doctor was explaining to you the Sigma Foveon CCMOS Sensor in the Sigma SD-9 and SD-10 cameras. That has nothing to do with Sigma lenses. Don't read into hype that isn't there. Sigma lenses are a fine product but they are no magic cure to capture light , we've had this discussion a time or two allready. Better try AI servo and get comfortable with that canon f4 before you swap it out for something else.
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2004, 6:57 AM   #17
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normcar
I'm looking to trade in my 70-200 f4 USM for a Sigma 2.8. Would that be foolish? I'm looking at the basketball court.
Here's some infos which may help (or confuse) in your decision:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6164297
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6165492
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2004, 10:43 AM   #18

Tomsch...

No, not changing cameras, I just used the Sigma foveon example to show how Sigma, the brand name, was initially introduced to me. However, it does offer some degree of credibility to the name, since it appears that Sigma isn't sitting on the couch waiting for miracles. They seem to be working at new ideas and innovations. Can I extend this to the Sigma lens? I checked the MTF rating on the Sigma 70-200 2.8 and it's 3.9 aoto Canon's 4.1 (looks pretty close to me on the technical end). I'm looking to exchage the "lenses" only. Any suggestions?

NHL
THANKS NHL, I appreciate your post, it was exactly what I was searching for. The Sigma.Canon test was excellent and showed clearly that Sigma's 2.8 can hold it's own against Canon's F4. I really need the f stop so I'll probably trade up if I can get the deal working.
Thanks!

PS - you've posted only 3000 times? You need to speed up!
Old Feb 8, 2004, 11:36 AM   #19
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normcar
PS - you've posted only 3000 times? You need to speed up!
... :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's what happened when you try to help people in both the Minolta and Canon (cameras which I own) forums, they seem like the most popular threads judging from the # of posts. BTW don't rely too much on the numbers: I remembered the days when I had to put a Softar filter on my Hasselblad because it was too sharp, or noisy cameras now that I have to add noise to my enlargements (to make the pictures more natural/pleasing and less plasticky in prints)! :P

http://www.naturephotographers.net/mg0600-1.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 11:48 AM   #20

Normcar,

Don't forget to look into the Canon 70-200L F2.8 IS. The IS (in mode 2, panning) might help you with your indoor shots on top of the F2.8.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote