Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 22, 2004, 9:33 AM   #1

Default Sigma OS 80-400 review

It's here, my precious ;D.

If first impressions say anything it's WOW, this lens is big.
It's much thicker than my previous 134-400 Sigma, and a beautiful made appearance.

There are 2 settings (well actualy 3).
OFF (duh)
1, after a second or so the OS kicks in and gives a truely stable picture.
2, Vertical movement is eliminated, good for panning.

I will go out in about an hour to do some more testing outside, but the first impression is very positive.

Only drawback is the focus, this can take some time compared to my 28-75 f2.8 but on the other hand it's offcourse a much bigger reach lens.

When focussing however it goes really fast, it only hunts from close to far away.

The package is very complete again with a Hood and carrying case + straps.

Well ok, the weather here is VERY VERY bad, no sunlight and big grey clouds, but I don't care ;D it's better to really test those low shutterspeeds I guess.

So don't judge from quality standing, the lens can do MUCH better in better weather.

The first shot is done out of the hand with a 1.4 Sigma EX convertor:

specs:
Iso 200
f 8
Exp. 1/60 sec
Focal length 896

Pretty useless.

specs:
Iso 200
f 8
Exp. 1/50 sec
Focal length 896

much better but still not as I would use

specs:
Iso 800
Exp 1/200s
f8
Focal length 896mm

This is more like it ;D.

The object was really far away, combined with the rain and bad light I think this is really impressive, I would not dream to shoot my old 400mm lens WITHOUT 1.4x convertor under 1/600sec and with convertor not even under 1/800 and even then the picture would be blurry because on 400mm the 135-400 was allready soft.

One thing however, even with the 1.4x convertor I loose autofocus and lowest apperture becomes f8. That's a shame, but the lens focusses really nice and fine, so it's not really a problem, when I shoot with the 1.4 convertor autofocus is not that important anyway and manual is easy to do.

Overall I'm at the moment VERY impressed with the OS system, I tried the Canon once and was also impressed but it seems the OS from Sigma is a bit more solid but there has been some time passed on that test.

I can't wait to go out and shoot in some normal weather.

I made some standard shots and the colors look very good, so does contrast and sharpness, but I can really judge that on a normal day.

Keep you posted.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2004, 2:43 PM   #2

Fits with what other have said. The AF needs some work, but the OS works well and it's sharp.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 2:52 PM   #3

What other I cannot find any reviews.

The AF is by the way after all not so slow ;D, it was hunting a bit because of the low light, now it's much better if the light is somewhat better.

Greetings,
Frank
Old Jan 22, 2004, 3:30 PM   #4
NHL

The camera controls the AF... the lens (any) just response to commands that is sent by the camera!

How fast the lens moves the focusing ring with no HSM is one thing, but hunting is controlled by the camera when it can't achieve focus with the available light.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 11:29 PM   #5

I agree, the hunting is a combination of the lens (max aperture), the camera, and the light.

The review I saw was one like what you wrote at:
www.naturephotographers.net

It wasn't a professional review, but a good photographer who wrote up his feeling about the product.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 11:09 AM   #6

Bad weather again, but here is an example of the 80mm setting.
Indoors, no flash and a realy difficult situation a Cat in a rather dark living room in front of the window.
Only the eyes have been a little enhanced in PS.

Overall I'm VERY happy with the lens, the OS is really amazing and very effective, I can shoot under 1/100 on 400mm and still get reasonable good shots, when I go to 1/200 on 400 they are really good, with my previous lens and with OS of you can really forget this.

The Focusspeed is very slow, that's true, but to be honest it's still fast enough for anything I do, on continues focus it can easily track birds and soccer players so that's no problem.

The manual focus is really amazing precise and quick.

The sound of the lens is maybe a problem for some wildlife shooters, but I think the 400mm reach will give you enough space between your subject, it's not a really noisy lens but it's a bit noisier than for example my 70-210 f2.8 APO from Sigma.

Overall I'm glad I choose the Sigma over the 100-400L from Canon.
I shoot ALOT on 400mm wide open and the quality is outstanding optical, even when stopped down two stops there is hardly any difference in sharpness, so my uneducated quess is the optical quality is good.

I can whole heartedly advice anyone the 80-400 OS.

Greetings,
Frank
Old Jan 26, 2004, 9:49 AM   #7

Ok tried it as a portrait lens just now ;D.

Light from one side and Canon 420EX with white omnibounce.

Greetings,
Frank