Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 19, 2011, 8:30 PM   #1

Default Normal to Short Tele macro primes

What is the prime macro of choice in the 50-80mm range? The Sigma 50 or 80 looks like a contender, along with the Canon 60mm, but I'm open to all opinions at this point.

The end use would be 'a little bit of everything'. A little macro, a little portraiture, whatever else wanders in front of the camera.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2011, 8:34 PM   #2

50 tends to be really limited on the working distance. I would look at the sig 80 or better yet the tamron 90 as the price is pretty close. They are more usable for macro. The canon 60 is a very good lens and so is the new tamron 60.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:58 PM   #3

To add to the list of excellent macro lenses that you and shoturtle mentioned, I'll add the Sigma 70/2.8, which is actually one of the best lenses made.

(Sigma 80?)

But if you want something stabilized, there's only Canon's 100/2.8 and Sigma's 105/2.8.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 5:47 PM   #4

Looks like the Tamron 60mm is better than the Canon 60. The Sigma 70 is the sharpest, but the Tamron is just a notch below it and is a stop faster. At the moment, with rebate, the Tamron is cheaper:$375 vs $500 for the Sigma.

But the Sigma will carry over to a 5D.

Any thoughts on the Tamron vs Sigma?
Old Dec 20, 2011, 5:54 PM   #5

The FF issue is only an issue if you plan on going to invest in FF.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 5:57 PM   #6

PS is you were going the FF route, I would look at a 100mm as it is more workable then a shorter lens.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 5:59 PM   #7

I'm a "medium telephoto" kinda guy. I prefer my 85/1.8 to my 50/1.8, so I think I'd go for the 70 as a general purpose, "A little macro, a little portraiture, whatever else wanders in front of the camera" type lens. But for macro, I'd prefer something longer, and stabilized too.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 6:29 PM   #8

Do you plan to take macro shots of living insects? If so, I would go for longer than 60mm. 60mm is good for static objects macro that don't get scared and run/fly away. The Canon USM macro lenses have full time manual focus which is handy if you use AF and then fine tune with manual without having to flip a switch or ring to switch to manual all the time.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 7:03 PM   #9

Thought provoking feedback. I don't fancy insect shots so much, but I do like the low light ability of the Tamron and the more general purpose focal length.

A stabilized macro is in another price range, beyond what I'm looking for today.

The full frame option is a few years away and is a consideration but not a deal breaker.

In the final analysis, I want a low light tack sharp normal lens that can also go macro. I think the Tamron 60 is the closest to that description so far. But I'm still listening - please keep the input coming!
Old Dec 20, 2011, 7:20 PM   #10

You realize on FF 60 is not a medium telephoto. Considerng 28 is wide. And 17 is ultra wide.