Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:14 PM   #1

Default Gift Card Dilemma

So, with the dust from XMas settled, I find myself with a Best Buy Gift Card valued at $500 US. I REALLY want to get the Canon 2X III Teleconverter to match my new 70-200mm F2.8L IS II, but alas Best Buy doesn't seem to carry it on-line or otherwise. I shoot with a 7D and also have the 50 F1.8, Tokina 11-16mm, and the Canon 15-85mm IS as my primary walk-around. I shoot all sorts of things (click link left for my website to see examples) from landscapes in the mountains, wildlife, college sports, travel, people, etc and am trying to figure out what to do. From the Best Buy site, my most attractive options, ranging from "covers the whole price and leaves me money for a few littles things" to "gives me a cool discount on a nifty, expensive lens," appear to be the Canon 50mm F1.4 (i.e., an upgrade to the nifty-fifty), the 100mm F2.8 Macro non-IS, the 100mm F2.8 L IS macro, and the17-40mm F4L.

What would you suggest? Any other alternatives?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:40 PM   #2

How about an external flash too?
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:11 PM   #3

Problem solved... I found a website "plasticjungle" that will exchange my Best Buy card for an Amazon card. The fee is within 1% of the local sales tax I'd pay to buy something at or through Best Buy, so it's not costing me anything really--and saving me money considering Amazon's better prices. I'll use the Amazon card to buy the 2.0X III Teleconverter.

I don't see a tool to delete the whole thread, but if an administrator can do this, please go ahead.

Last edited by docfrance; Jan 4, 2012 at 8:15 PM.
docfrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:30 PM   #4

If I had $500 burning a hole in my pocket, I'd pick one of the lenses you mention, instead of a 2X teleconverter (anybody's 2X teleconverter.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote