Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 8, 2012, 4:37 PM   #1

Default Walk Around Lens

I have a Canon 550D (T2i - I think) as well as an older Canon Rebel. I mostly just shoot my 550D and I have the following lenses:

EF-S 18-55mm (I think this came with the camera)
Sigma EX 10 - 20mm
EF 50mm 1.8
EF 70 -200mm L USM

I love most of these lenses. The 70-200mm is my favorite for getting candid photos but it's a bit bulky and can't shoot very wide.

The Sigma is nice for shooting landscapes

The 50mm works well for portraits and shooting video

The 18-55mm has become sort of my everyday lens. Not because I'm happy with it but because the other lenses have their limitations and if I can only take one lens on a trip or for a day out shooting then it's the most versatile choice unless I know that I'll be specifically shooting something that another lens will work better for.

I would like to get away from the 18-55mm and upgrade to something with a little better quality and range.

I was thinking about the 28-135mm Canon lens but I've read about a lot of problems with dust getting inside and/or the lens sliding.

Although the 70-200mm is an L series I don't really want to sink that much into a 24-105mm as my walking around lens.

I haven't had any problems with the wideness of the 18-55mm on the short end (and if I do then I just use the Sigma) so a telephoto that starts in the 24 - 28mm range probably would do just fine for me.

Any suggestions on a decent quality lens (without known problems like the 28-135mm) that is in the $500 or so range. It's not a hard budget but $900+ for the Canon 24-105mm L-series would be out of the range.
thefarang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:11 AM   #2

I enjoy my 24-105 for everyday stuff on my T2i. It's a little tight sometmes, but perfect for so much, including mild macro work. She is a bit spendy, no doubt. For your price range, you're looking at the Tamron 17-50mm or the Sigma 17-70mm.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2012, 4:44 AM   #3

The Canon 24-105 is an excellent choice, as is the 15-85. A little further down the scale, the Canon 28-135 is ok too. The unstabilized Tamron 17-50/2.8 is a very good lens, but the stabilized version doesn't measure up. The Sigma 17-50/2.8 or 17-70/2.8-4.0 are better choices.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:20 AM   #4

I haven't had any dust problems so far with my 28-135. What I don't like about it is the loose zoom (hold the camera straight up or down and the zoom slides of its own weight) and that weight. I really do wish it was lighter.

Kelly Cook
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook View Post
I haven't had any dust problems so far with my 28-135. What I don't like about it is the loose zoom (hold the camera straight up or down and the zoom slides of its own weight) and that weight. I really do wish it was lighter.

Kelly Cook
Yeah, that's the looseness I've heard about too. I think that would drive me crazy after the first few times it happened.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:57 AM   #6

For the price I can't complain (kit lens that came with the 50D)
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook View Post
For the price I can't complain (kit lens that came with the 50D)
So, it sounds as if you find the slide manageable? More of a minor annoyance than a pain in the butt?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:51 PM   #8

Just an occasional reminder of how cheap my lens really is. The "auto" zoom slide only happens when the camera is pretty near vertical. Not a problem at all so long as the camera is more or less level. Kind of an issue while carrying on a strap, as the camera will be near vertical, and the lens will then be fully extended. I'm learning to live without the neck strap.

Ideally I would like to replace this dinosaur with the EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM. But my budget is already stretched.

Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 7:28 AM   #9

For walk around lenses the wife and I use a Canon 17-55 IS f2.8 (wife's lens with a T1i) and a Canon 24-105L IS f4 (my lens with a 7D). Both do a great job and rarely do we miss a shot due to focal length. Sometimes the wife does get a better wide angle shot but then I sometimes get that distance shot. Either lens seems to work great for us as walk around lenses.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 1:08 PM   #10

I would say look at the sigma 17-70os its a bit longer and a bit wider and its a great all round lens
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote