Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:54 PM   #21

32 is really over kill unless you are planning to shoot allot of video. I spent a month in south east asia last year. And I used my camera everyday. Took thousands of photos. And I used 2 16gb and that was for 31 days.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:57 PM   #22

You should be ok with the 2 8GB cards as long as you off load them each night and reuse them the following day. You'll be surprised how fast the images will mount. Just make sure you have enough free space on the laptop to be able to off load the photos to.......

Also when I went to Atlanta last year I only owned an 18-250mm and found myself using the 18-135mm range a ton, the 135 - 250mm range was used less. I found the 18mm was wide enough for full fire station shots, building shots for the most part and wide angles at the Olympic Park. On the telephoto end when I was at the GA aquriam I used the lens close to 135mm a lot.

dave

Last edited by Photo 5; Feb 4, 2012 at 11:03 PM.
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:01 PM   #23

Not really, spent 31 days in SE Asia, did not off load my card. Just switch cards. And I was going through airport security every couple of day flying form city to city. Came home and photos were all there. The newer sdhc card are allot better then the plane SD. For a week in NYC, you really do not have to worry about the card. If you do fill one, just make sure you put it in a plastic sd card holder.

Also unless you have your laptop with you, which is more to carry, off loading is not and option. Using the hotel computer to put it on your cloud drive would take allot of time waiting for it to finish.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:06 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
32 is really over kill unless you are planning to shoot allot of video. I spent a month in south east asia last year. And I used my camera everyday. Took thousands of photos. And I used 2 16gb and that was for 31 days.
All depends on what MP settings your using (and if you shoot raw). When I was in Atlanta last year for 3 full days I shot 1,900 pictures on a 16GB card at 10MP camera setting. Now if I had shot at 16MP........

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:33 PM   #25

We will have my MacBook with us at the hotel. I can dump the photos at night and be ready for the next day. Lately I've been taking Large+RAW as I recently bought PP software and am trying to learn how to manipulate RAW files.
Quadna71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2012, 12:15 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
All depends on what MP settings your using (and if you shoot raw). When I was in Atlanta last year for 3 full days I shot 1,900 pictures on a 16GB card at 10MP camera setting. Now if I had shot at 16MP........

dave
I have a 18mp and 12mp. I shoot at hi resolution jpg on my trip. Unless you are going to shoot everything in raw and have the time to process all the raw when you get home. At 6-8mp after jpg conversion you do get allot of photos. But if the OP is visiting NYC and shooting the tourist site, and is shooting 1900 3photos a 3 day. You are just taking pic, and not really seeing the sights.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 12:17 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadna71 View Post
We will have my MacBook with us at the hotel. I can dump the photos at night and be ready for the next day. Lately I've been taking Large+RAW as I recently bought PP software and am trying to learn how to manipulate RAW files.
You will be fine for you NYC trip. Don't get carried away with photos. There is so much to do also. Don't do the japanese tourist, and really enjoy the city.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 1:06 AM   #28

That's the plan. The whole weekend is centered around my wife's 30th birthday, so she is calling the shots and picking the places. I'll just be snapping whenever she asks me and once in a while when something catches my fancy. I can't wait!
Quadna71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2012, 1:14 AM   #29

NYC is a good place to have a birthday. Think you will have allot of fun up here, and hope you have some nice weather.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 6:34 PM   #30

I can endorse the Canon 15-85mm, it's a great all purpose lens. The 15mm certainly gives quite good 'reasonably wide' scope. This is my most used walkaround (I use it on my 7D). It's sharp, contrasty and has the bonuses of true USM and an effective IS.

While at times a wider lens (as Kelly suggested - an ultrawide angle like the Sigma 10-20mm or Canon 10-22mm or similar) is very useful for city scapes, they are more limited to capturing 'details' (in general). I have the Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6, and mine is sharp.

Shame that people have to consider safety so much with cameras.... Crime is so sad & annoying! (thankfully I've never had any of my camera gear snatched, or even an attempt during my many travels).

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote