Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 8, 2012, 3:35 PM   #11
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
As for having a stabilization feature at all in a 24-70mm, it depends on what you want to shoot and the conditions you're shooting in. For example, if you're shooting landscapes in lower light (right at sunrise, etc.) and want to stop down the aperture for a bit more DOF (slowing down the shutter speeds needed for the desired exposure), you may be able to get better results using a stabilized lens, without using higher ISO speeds, and without lugging a tripod along.
From my experience a lot of low-light landscape require a tripod like water flow (or blur out the foreground where people/car move about) required much slower shutter speed than any IS can handle... I.e 1/25s wouldn't cut it
Old May 18, 2012, 9:32 PM   #12

Any good date on when the IS primes are expected? I want a wider prime to compliment my 50mm.
Quadna71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2012, 12:41 PM   #13
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadna71 View Post
Any good date on when the IS primes are expected? I want a wider prime to compliment my 50mm.
Nope, but also have to ask, if you are shooting still over video, why you would choose these. I would look at the 28mm f1.8 as you are getting 1 1/3 more stops than the new primes, or if you can afford it then get the 35mm f1.4 (I love mine), if you are on crop go for the Sigma 30mm f1.4.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012, 8:32 PM   #14

Hi Mark. Not saying that I'd buy either. Rather, I have a feeling as soon as they are released there will be a number of used wide primes flooding the for sale boards as people scramble to get the newest versions.

I am indeed shooting a crop so wider is better
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:18 PM   #15

Canon glass is Canon glass. Better quality color and bookeh! I have the 24-70mm Mark I and I use it mainly for weddings. It is amazing! I always keep it on my camera. A bread winner lens. I will definitely try the Mark II version as soon as I can order it! I am sure it will be awesome!
Old Jun 8, 2012, 1:19 PM   #16

gps-e1 no, but the gps-e2 yes
gps-e2 is support by the 1dx, 7d, 5d mk-iii and t4i
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/...e2_gps_unit.do

As for IS, it is just a crutch for the modern lazy snapsshooter, real photographers always use a Zone VI heavy duty tripod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL View Post
I still think you don't need IS in a 24-70 especially on a Canon with great low-light ISO capability... Why mess up with more 'IS' elements which can only detract from IQ?

On the other hand the GPS-E1 only supports the 1Dx which is a bummer as almost all other manufacturers already support geo-tagging with their dSLRs if not built-in already!

Last edited by PeterP; Jun 8, 2012 at 1:22 PM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 7:25 PM   #17

What about the new 24-70...anyone know when the new release date is?
Old Jul 21, 2012, 9:52 AM   #18
Administrator

Nope. But, it shouldn't be too long, as I've seen a couple of hands on previews of the pre-release versions of the lens (I'm assuming you mean the new Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II USM).

You may want to get on the lists to notify you when it's in stock if you're interested in it.

For example, you can do that from the B&H listing here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=843008&is=USA

Same with the Amazon.com listing here, so that they'll send you an e-mail when they have stock:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...edigitalpic-20
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote