Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:43 PM   #1

Default Best Price/QA for Macro

Hi,

A friend of mine his looking for a Macro lens for her Canon 3Ti. She already bougth a Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM ....but I am not sure if it can qualify as a "real" macro lens (versus, i.e., my own http://www.mcbaincamera.com/productd...ain_id=0251604).

One solution will be to buy some extension tubes likes the Canon or Kenkos. Another one will be to return the 17-70 above (it is just a couple of days old) and get a real macro .... But which one (Sigma 105mm??)

Thanks for your help!

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2012, 5:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by folob View Post
Hi,

A friend of mine his looking for a Macro lens for her Canon 3Ti. She already bougth a Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM ....but I am not sure if it can qualify as a "real" macro lens (versus, i.e., my own http://www.mcbaincamera.com/productd...ain_id=0251604).
The Sigma is a very good general purpose zoom lens. It is not a 1:1 macro
lens, but it's close focusing ability makes it useful for close-up shots.

Quote:
One solution will be to buy some extension tubes likes the Canon or Kenkos.
If you take this approach, pay the extra for 'auto' tubes with electrical contacts for aperture control.

Quote:
Another one will be to return the 17-70 above (it is just a couple of days old) and get a real macro .... But which one (Sigma 105mm??)
The Sigma 105mm is one of the best macro lenses available. I wouldn't
see it as an alternative to a zoom lens like the 17-70mm. They are two
very different lenses. The Sigma 105mm is a great macro lens. It isn't great
as a general purpose 105mm prime lens because of it's slow and clunky AF.

The Canon 60mm f/2.8 macro is another very sharp 1:1 macro lens. It
has fast AF and the 60mm FL length might be more useful for non-macro
shooting.

I suppose the best choice depends on her intended application.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 6:17 AM   #3

The Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.0 OS HSM is a 1:2.7 "Macro" lens. It's pretty flexible for what it is, but it's not a MACRO lens.

There are no bad macro lenses. Your (her) choice of a macro lens should be governed by what you want to shoot. If you'll be shooting small, inanimate objects in good light, a shorter (~50mm) macro lens would work well. But if you don't want to risk frightening animate subjects, or you don't want to block your own light, a longer lens would be better.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:50 AM   #4

The Sigma 105mm macro is good, I use the 150mm macro on my full frame body for its longer working distance.
The longer macro lenses also make for good portrait lenses, as they are true flat-field lenses and the longer focal length gives you a good working distance from your subject.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:53 AM   #5

Extension tubes are a good, inexpensive way to get into marcophotography, but they aren't very flexible. And some of the cheap ones are pretty bad.

If she only has the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.0 for her T3i, that's not a bad lens to have, but for macro work, there are better choices.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:45 PM   #6

folob
save the money and get the canon 100mm f2.8 macro.
its a very nice lens.
or else save and get the 70-200 f4 non IS and some good macro tubes.
always save and get good glass is always the best choice.
dont jump into a cheaper choice because of time and impatience.
cheers its almost spring.
pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 8:48 PM   #7

If she is looking for true macro, a macro lens would be the best option. If you tube a macro lens, you can get some nice super macro shots.

The canon 100 2.8 non L is an excellent macro lens, IS is not important with true macro. She will have to shoot on a tripod and may need a flash as well.

The zoom lens she has is a good walk around zoom lens. If she want to shoot close up stuff at 1:2 or 1:3 is will do a decent job on top of being a all purpose lens. If she is after marco of small things, it is to short at 70mm.

The macro will not be able to replace the all purpose, and if she is after true macro. And the zoom will not be able to replace the marco for 1:1 macro.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:23 AM   #8

If you get really really serious about macro take a peek at the Canon MP-E 65mm 1-5x macro lens.
It is a dedicated manual focus macro lens that does 1:1 up to 5:1, and is not able to do normal images
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx

Have not been able to justify the 1000$ price tag for such a specialized lens. (yet).
Old Mar 14, 2012, 5:11 PM   #9

That is a super macro lens, it is impossible to shoot handheld close up with. But at 5:1 is is really close up to the subject, you you will be needing right flash to put light on your subset.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:34 PM   #10

I can also recommend the Canon 100mm f2.8 USM (non L) as a great 'all round, quality macro lens'. Useful for both beginners and the serious prosumer even. Imagine quality (sharpness, colours, contrast) are very good. The handling is superb. And 1:1 is a huge difference to 2:1 even.

A tripod is a must for many types of macro photography. Buy a decent solid one (I have a Manfrotto which is good). I bought my Canon 100mm macro lens a couple years ago, and haven't regretted it one bit. It also serves as a handy impromptu / candid portrait lens too, particularly useful on my 7D. Would also work well on your friend's T3i. Live view can be very helpful for macros.

Best regards

Paul

Last edited by pj1974; Mar 14, 2012 at 11:40 PM. Reason: typo
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote