Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 19, 2012, 9:35 PM   #1

Default Need Help with a tamron lense

My sister-in-law has a canon rebel XT, when she puts in her tamron 70-300 lense, she gets a "error 99" reading that comes up. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?? Any and all help would be appriecetated (sp). Thank you inadvance for all help!

Weedy
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2012, 9:37 PM   #2

Default Help with a Canon Rebel XT

My sister-in-law has a Canon Rebel XT and when she puts her Tamron 70-300 lense in to use, she gets a "Error 99" message on the screen! Thank you for any and all help.

Weedy
Old Mar 19, 2012, 9:42 PM   #3
Administrator

How old is the camera's battery?

If the battery is not delivering full voltage (and I'd make sure it's fully charged when testing for that problem), that could be the cause (and lithium ion batteries start to deteriorate after a few years, where they might not be delivering the same voltage as a new battery, resulting in communication issues with attached lenses.

I'd also try cleaning the lens contacts to make sure it's making a good electrical connection to the lens mount, and unmounting and remounting the lens a few times can help clean them, too (due to friction of the contacts rubbing together).

Basically, an Error 99 is a "Catch All" error code, and it's probably being caused by voltage related issues if it's only occurring with one lens.

Here's a 6 page article on the subject (and I've linked to page 6, which is the last page, since it has some steps you may want to try).

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008...man-the-myth/6
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:15 PM   #4

Does she get error 99 with any other lens?
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:20 PM   #5

Error 99 is a generic error code. It is the one the camera gives when it can't figure out what's wrong. Does she get the code when she attaches other lenses to the XT? Did she power off the camera before attaching the lens?
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:14 AM   #6
Administrator

Hey Weedy:

I noticed you asked the same question in more than one forum (which is often referred to as "cross posting").

So, that all of the replies will be in the same place (which is a good idea because members may not realize that others have already posted some answers), I've merged your two separate threads into this one thread.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 7:59 AM   #7

Thanks JimC

As to the question about attaching other lenses, no she doesn't get the error when she puts on her smaller lens. It is a canon lens, not sure if that would make a difference or not! Would the bigger lense need more power persay?? The batteries are original and I could see that being an issue. As to cleaning the contacts, would regular alchole work? Or what would be the preferred cleaning solution to use. As always, thanks for all the feed back and tips! Will try and see if those two suggestions make a difference.

Weedy