Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 23, 2012, 8:06 PM   #1

Default refurbished lenses from canon

I am debating getting my very first dSLR, and wanting a good quality one and good lenses. Want to jump right past the entry level & kit lenses, I do have experience with dSLR. I am however not made of money and probably looking at around 2 grand tops to spend to cover the camera, lenses, batteries, filters, tripods, etc, since nothing I have right now will be very compatible.

Ok to get to the point... to save some money and get some better glass I am thinking refurbished from canon. Has anyone done this, and are the lenses still of like-new quality? I can handle cosmetic blemishes but to spend money on glass and not have it sharp or something is kind of a waste. But I have heard good things about their refurbished bodies, so figure I'd inquire about their lenses. I am looking at either a T3i or 60D using the loyalty discount & refurb.

I'll post another thread about actual lens choices later, but before I narrow it down that much I got to make sure I am looking in the right price range, and saving a couple hundred each lens could put me in the next 'tier' of glass I hope. Thanks for any advice!
mInDtrIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2012, 4:46 AM   #2

Refurbished lenses will same you some money, but the selection can be small.

The used market is also a good option. Places like KEH. Adorama and B&H can also save you some money.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 5:15 AM   #3

for canon look at adorama for refurbished lenses, they have a 1 year warranty return to adaroma on canon products.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:36 AM   #4

I would think that refurbished lenses are even better than normal lenses, since they've been personally checked by a Canon technician.

Jokes aside, refurbs typically don't have any issues, but there's always the possibility that a lemon could pop up. But I can't even begin to count all the good stories I've heard from people who are happy with their refurbs.

Canon also offers a 90 day warranty on their refurbs, I believe.

Short answer - I wouldn't worry for a moment about buying a lens refurbished by Canon.

Good luck!
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:21 AM   #5

A one year warranty sure does ease the worry about refurb lenses. I just checked, and the couple I have been looking at are actually more expensive on adorama, but as Tcav stated, they were 'out of stock' on canons site anyhow. Edit... some on adorama are more, some are less.

Ok sounds like I may seriously look into the refurbs then, thanks!

Last edited by mInDtrIP; Apr 24, 2012 at 9:24 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 7:17 PM   #6

Lenses are the anvils of photographic gear: If there's something wrong, it's pretty obvious. KEH offers a 14 return policy on their used gear, which is fairly common. Even on eBay, there's a return period. I've never actually bought a refurbished lens, but I've bought plenty of used lenses from Adorama, KEH and eBay, and never had a problem that wasn't resolved promptly and courteously.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:05 PM   #7

I have bought 2 lens from canon, on the refurb list. They were like brand new.. i took it to the local shop.. and they couldn't tell if i had just bought it from there.. i haven't had any problems with them at all. But i did not buy any of the cheap lens either.. i think when you make the commitment to buy. quality does stand out. So i wouldn't buy any thing less then an L lens..my thoughts..

Good Luck..
lonefeather93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:36 PM   #8

Thanks Tcav. However it would be my luck on one of those 14 day returns that I wouldnt even open the box in 14 days. That kind of stuff happens to me all the time. And being my first ever lens I might not know right away what to expect or certain things to look for if it isnt really obvious.

That sounds reassuring lonefeather. And I would like to get a quality lens but the L's might just be a little out of my range. I think the 24-105L would be the perfect lens that I could afford... if I had a full frame. But on a crop sensor its not wide enough, so instead my primary focus is on the 15-85 atm, but I'll post another thread about my lens choices.

~Tristan
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:10 PM   #9

I have bought refurbished lenses several times! No problem at all. Don't worry the lens won't brake. Canon has excellent quality control. You would have to pay for any repairs after the warranty expires even if you buy a new lens!
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:11 PM   #10

Also, you can buy used lenses on KEH or ebay! Buy from a reputable seller and you won't regret it!!!