Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 31, 2004, 9:40 AM   #1

Default Harray! New L glass from Canon

Hey everyone,

Well was just reading Steve's little news thing about canon's release of the 28-300mm L series lens with IS :shock: . Ive always wanted the 35-350mm L series lens but wish it had the IS feature. Now its out! This would be my only lens I practily needed wouldnt it? I mostly do outside photography (Birds, wildlife) but have the occasional inside shot that may need a wider angle.

As of right now the only lens I have is the 75-300mm IS USM and enjoy it. But went to take some pictures at a friends house and wasnt able to get wide enough to my likings. I would be more then willing to pay the $2500 (Guestimate) for this lens. But does anyone else think that this would be a smart idea? I perfer not to change my lenses often. I have a constant worry about dust getting inside. Donno why, but I do...

Anyone else plan to change to this lens? If so why? And do you know of anyone that maybe had a chance to beta test the lens? And do they have a website?

All info would be great.

Thanks
Russell
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2004, 10:19 AM   #2

Wish it was around when I was originally buying
If it meets all your requirements that would be exellent, but I found 28mm to be not wide enough for me.

For the longest time I was using only a 28-105 F2.8 and a 100-300USM. Though now I also carry a 19-35mm and a 2x teleconverter and the set of kinko extension tubes, in my main pack. And a 35-70 & 100-300USM in my spares pack.

I think if I tried to buy more lenses for a while I might meet an unfortunate accidental end .

Although if they ever came out with a 17-350 I think I would be in heaven.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 2:57 PM   #3

The new 28-300L is a push-pull design which some people hate and some love. It has the latest IS which is very nice. But it does not have a constant aperture over its zoom range, which is something I like to see. At 300mm it is f5.6, which is not that great. I would like to know at what mm iit goes from F4 to F5.6. It uses the standard 77mm filter thread (good thing). It seems a bit heavy for a walk-around lens, 3.7 lbs. That is half a pound heavier than the 70-200L F2.8 IS lens, and 3/4 pound heavier than the 100-400L IS.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 3:10 PM   #4

hmmmz... didnt notice the weight... I musta overlooked it. Maybe cause I was all excited... :P. Yeah the push-pull isnt the greated (IMO) either. But to see a newer version of the 10 year old lens with IS just went :shock: to me...

Also, how come they dont just make an attachment with IS ability? Maybe its alittle bit more complex then I think, but isnt it just like a gyro? With lenses with a collar you could mount it to that and maybe hitch it up to a hotshoe or shutter release?... now that would be cool...
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 4:54 PM   #5

There is a rumor that Nikon will make VR tele converters (including a 1x VR TC.) No ideas if they will, but it's an interesting idea.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 9:58 PM   #6

Those things are a balance for a camera company like Canon. Make a 1x TC, or 1.4x or 2x TC with IS, and you might have killed off the market for your IS lenses.....

Barthold
Old Jan 31, 2004, 10:04 PM   #7

So true.... I wondered that too. But it is an interesting idea. I wonder how big/thick those TCs would have to be. If it would cause troubles.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 11:05 PM   #8

What about building IS into the camera, by having it compensate by moving the image sensor? Is that doable? Or would that mean so microscopically small movements that that is not doable with any kind of precision?

Barthold
Old Feb 1, 2004, 12:33 PM   #9

That is how the IS in the minolta Dimage A1 works, and it seems to do so pretty well, but it does have a fixed lens...
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote