Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 17, 2012, 12:54 AM   #1

Default Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS questions

As some of you know from my previous posts I just ordered this lens as a part of my first dSLR outfit (60D). I purchased it used (adorama). It appears to be in fine shape, and maybe this is normal but it seems like the front part of the barrel, the part that extends and rotates, is very loose inside the lenses housing. With it sticking out I can push on the edge and displace it by, I dont know somewhere around 1/8-1/4 inch? Is this normal for this lens? The images do appear soft at full res, but also it seems to be off a little focusing as well. I've taken a few flower, insect, and bird shots just playing around with it over the weekend and finally got around to looking at the pics on the 'puter and not a single one is in perfect focus I dont beleive. I might be a little paranoid since its used, and also not 100% sure what to expect since I'm fairly new to dSLR.
mInDtrIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2012, 3:33 AM   #2

I would have said no this isnt right. i have looked at my 55-250 and it does not sem to do this, i can push it and it will move but it will turn the barrel as well. hope this is clear
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 11:26 AM   #3

Before you jump to any conclusion, try to set the AF focusing to use just the center point instead of the automatic 9 points AF. I found the auto 9point AF often causes mis-focus on my XSi and 5D MKII.
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012, 2:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave01 View Post
I would have said no this isnt right. i have looked at my 55-250 and it does not sem to do this, i can push it and it will move but it will turn the barrel as well. hope this is clear
I dont mean its loose in and in-out direction like the zoom/focus movement (although it is loose that way, if I tip the camera down it will fall out to 300mm in a couple seconds, but thats why there is a lock on it right?), what I mean is its loose side to side, like I can make it crooked by pushing on one side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCKSer View Post
Before you jump to any conclusion, try to set the AF focusing to use just the center point instead of the automatic 9 points AF. I found the auto 9point AF often causes mis-focus on my XSi and 5D MKII.
Yes I did set it on center spot, but I am not sure what pics were taken with what method of focus. I'll have to try and take some more controlled tests when I can find the time. Looking at the file properties (xif data is that what its called?) I can see f-stop, shutter, iso, etc but not info on WB and focus, etc, is there any way to get that additional information from pictures?
mInDtrIP is offline   Reply With Quote