Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 14, 2012, 6:02 AM   #1

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni
Default "Prime time" - Or how I got tired of microadjusting the 24-105

Once upon a time most SLR cameras were delivered with a 50mm lens. Perhaps it should (could) be that way

The 50mm 1.8 is very, very sharp compared to the Canon standard zooms

Anyone using two or three primes in stead of standard zoom? Your over all experience?

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2012, 4:42 PM   #2

G'day Torgny

50mm lenses mate - yes you're right about them being 'the old standard' and being 'very sharp' too
The physics of optical design for any zoom lens results in a wide set of compromises, and those compromises are reduced for many single-focal length lenses

I think that it is one of the reasons behind the many references to a 'nifty-fifty' lens that I see in many of the current magazines - where the APS 50mm lens gives an image size very close to 35mm film x 80mm > where it becomes very useful for portraiture and macro work

I think also that we today accept 'optical-versatility' ahead of 'total-sharpness'

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 9:20 PM   #3

Everything in photo gear is a compromise. It took me a little while to figure this out, but I believe it to be true. We all want it all, but we have to figure out what is important to us personally. Do I want f/1.8? Mega-zoom? Crystal-clear focus? Something I can carry without hurting my neck? Something I can carry without hurting my wallet? I've played with multiple approaches and finally found a personal comfort zone. For me, it's not the Sigma 200-500mm f/2.8 monster lens. Realistically, I think the logical approach is to have a versatile zoom lens for taking "pictures" and one or more prime lenses for making photographs. With this in mind, I carry a Sigma 17-70mm and a fixed 30mm f/1.4 for my crop sensor T1i. The 30mm gives me the equivalent of a 50mm on a full frame, and the combination of the two still fits in a compact camera bag for easy travel. That's my compromise.
requa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 9:37 AM   #4

The nifty-fifty
I have one, at its price no reason not to!

But it is all plastic construction, slow to focus, and fairly noisy when operating.
It's image quality is good though.

The 50 f/1.4 on the other hand is quiet, fast and not all plastic
It does cost a bit more
(about 119$us for the f/1.8 and 369$us for the f/1.4)

Neither the 50mm f/1.8 or the f/1.4 are L class lenses, the 50mm f/1.2 L on the other hand is but the cost takes a massive wallet frightening jump up.

Last edited by PeterP; Jun 15, 2012 at 9:41 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 9:53 AM   #5

I use my zooms for most all outdoor shooting (24-105L, 70-200L f2.8, 70-300 and 10-22 all Canon lenses), for indoor I use 50 1.4, 50 1.8, 100L. I find that either zoom or fix lens does a fine job for me. Maybe I just like buying lenses.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:47 AM   #6

+1
my accountant is not happy with me over that little issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicajun View Post
Maybe I just like buying lenses.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 1:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
+1
my accountant is not happy with me over that little issue
My accountant (my wife) is the one who keeps buying all my camera gear. We now have more gear than talent.