Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 6, 2004, 6:44 PM   #21

Monopod: I have a Manfrotto 682B that has detachable feet that can be used to give a bit steadier support when needed. I put a Bogen 3232 swivel head on it with a Really Right Stuff Arca Quick Release clamp so that I can swivel the camera to vertical when necessary. It is lightweight (relatively), retracts to about 24 inches with the head attached for easy carrying. If I had it to do over again, I might take a hard look at a carbon fiber pod, just because of the weight, but all in all, I'm pleased with the one I have.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 7:33 PM   #22

Normcar, I know the lighting varies from place to place, but as a rule of thumb, what would be a good starting point for the settings? What mode would be best to shoot sports, TV? Indoor BB... As far as the Sigma, I don't know if I'll be able to take pics with that thing in such tight quarters. Notre Dame stadium has some pretty tight bench seating. Getting the lens in ought not be an issue. I guess this goes back to why I got the Canon DigiReb in the first place. Better shots. Using another lens would be a step backward, but I'm just not sure how it'll work out.

As far as that Tamron 28-300 XR goes, that thing is compact. I wouldn't need to take anything else in. No backpack/camera bag etc. What are the odds of getting a monopod into a stadium? Slim and none? Ya, I'll be with my 5 year old son and I'm going to club someone with the damn thing....

I got the DigiReb guide advertised on this site. The manual isn't all that helpful. This is my first SLR type camera. The BB pics (besides some X-mas shots) were literally the first pictures I'd taken w/ the camera. Much to learn. Thanks for the input.
aaltenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 8:18 PM   #23

A good starting point for settings, to me, would be:
- as close to 500 shutter as possible while still getting enough light.
- as well, test the ISO and keep it as low as possible
- three major tools: aperture, ISO, and shutter, but for sports I don't think that it's foolish to decide that "shutter" is the a priori consideration because you are attempting to rid yourself of blur for the most part.
- as stopped down an aperture as is possible to have a reasonable depth of field where the subjects remain in focus
- a good place to stand where as much ambient light exists as is possible in that particular situation.
- don't hand hold, use a monopod, unless your goal is to get more of an "art" shot. And, if it is, then be quite content to put the monopod aside for awhile.
- make it an adventure with your 5 year old son, letting him in on why you need to get closer to get the "best" pictures possible (the closer you are the less you need to open the aperture and the more you can increase the shutter speed. Light loves you to be close). I'll bet your son will love trying to get as close as possible to the action if you "show him" the results in the LCD.
- I have G5, FZ10, and 300D, and I have found that sports photography demands the DSLR, bare minimum, and the rest is up to learning, talent, and equipment available. However, I also know that the cheapest lens on the market, the 50mm/1.8 Canon, will glean results that are as professional as can be if the user is willing to experiment and move from his or her seat to get to where they need to be to get that important shot.

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 8:55 PM   #24

Thanks a bunch. Ya, my son always loves to look at the LCD. Last year, we went to 7 ND football games. The last game I got pics of my son and a number of the players. In addition to sending those pictures in, I also sent in the best one of that particular player to be autographed for my son. I must have sent pictures to a dozen different players. Got 10 of the 12 back signed. I made sure and asked them to address the signature to him. Did the same thing with some of my better hockey pictures too. I don't think the ND hockey players get a whole lot of attention. In addition to autographing the pictures I sent in, a couple of them sent him signed pucks. Pretty cool.
aaltenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 9:04 PM   #25

I think it's excellent what you are doing with your child. If you understand only part of the wonderful blessing you are giving to him just because you are "there" then I think you have the fine points of photography worked out perfectly! It appears that you have your priorities straight and focused, and to heck with everything else. Excellent work! I look forward to seeing some of your future pics

And, just a sideline, get that boy of yours to take a few pictures too and share them as well
Old Mar 7, 2004, 5:29 AM   #26

hey altenburger...
I hope you realize how dynamically wonderful you are because you actually think about your kid and have decided to play a part in his life. I have no doubt that he is happy about your decision. Your priorities are nothing less than excellent!! And I use two exclamatories because you deserve them.