Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:26 AM   #11
NHL

An f/4 is naturally lighter than an f/2.8: It captured 1/2 of the light hence has smaller optics. If you need the light for action indoor (or dawn or dusk) then there's no way around it...

It's worth noting an f/2.8 lens when closed down to f/4 is sharper than a wide open f/4 lens. Also there's the bokeh of an f/2.8 over an f/4, and why someone might pick a heavier lens. Heck I love my 120-300 f/2.8 just for its bokeh on models shoots outdoor over an 70-200 f/2.8 and don't mind the extra weight!

Last edited by NHL; Nov 21, 2012 at 6:32 AM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 7:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
  1. The article didn't say anything about improved AF performance of the "II" over the "I".
  2. The article specifically mentioned that, unlike some other lenses, the "II" WAS NOT better on the 5DIII than on 5DII.
Ah, but what was also said was:
Quote:
The Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II, oddly enough, seemed not quite as good as the above lenses, but more accurate than the older ones.
So, go figure. In my opinion, if you're buying a $3400 camera body it makes no sense to buy a less sharp, slower focusing lens. That's just me. I also believe since the OP is upgrading bodies every couple years if he doesn't buy the best lens he can, he'll have buyers remorse and end up upgrading that lens anyway.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 8:58 AM   #13

FaithfulPastor,

JohnG and I read the same thing and came away with different conclusions.

NHL and I read the same thing and came away with different conclusions.

I suggest that you read them youself and form your own conclusions.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 3:38 PM   #14
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I suggest that you read them youself and form your own conclusions.
You can start here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/34827752
or end up here, but with the same conclusion: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx

"The Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM Lens' real world image quality and image quality improvement over the original version are impressive - much better than I expected..."

Nikon did the same with their improved 70-200 f/2.8 VR II, over their VR I, if Canon didn't keep up then I would think they'll be in deep doodoo!

-> Remember when the 1st version came out the lens was still designed for film. Now with APS-C and high-res CMOS sensors with micro-lenses the incoming light beam has to hit the sensor at a less acute angles (perpendicular is best) hence increasing the contrast (with corresponding MTF's), and why most lens have to be re-designed. The best example of this concept is the new Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 which looks more like a telephoto lens than a WA, but is fantastic at 24mm.

Last edited by NHL; Nov 21, 2012 at 4:07 PM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 6:53 AM   #15
NHL

Just want to add another comment for others who may be following this thread. This applies to the redesigned TC's as well (thinking about upgrading their II to a III?): http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...II-Review.aspx

"A microcomputer integrated into the Series III Extenders promises faster autofocusing and increased AF precision when used with the Canon IS Supertelephoto Series II lenses mentioned above and (I expect) all future compatible lenses. Better optical quality is also expected."

-> Seriously the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II combined with the TC2x III can now challenge the 100-400L which it could never do before: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...mp=7&APIComp=2