Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 14, 2012, 1:31 AM   #1

Default Replacement for 18-55 IS Kit Lens?

Hey all, I am in the market to get a new lens to replace my current kit lens for my XSi that no longer autofocuses. Ideally I would like to stay as close to $200 as I can because I am not sure we really use the camera "enough" to justify spending too much on lenses. The most I would want to even consider is $300.

I also have the 55-250mm IS. The other question that I have is how important is the IS? I always leave ours on, so I have never taken pictures with it off before. Would I be sorry if I didn't get a lens with IS? I am not worried so much about me, but more my wife. She just wants to pick up the camera and take a picture and have it come out good without having to mess with settings.

Any thoughts you guys have are much appreciated!
xceebeex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2012, 6:27 AM   #2

There are two choices in your price range. They're both stabilized (so it's not like you have a choice):
  • Another Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II ($199)
  • Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM ($199)
The Sigma is a very nice lens. It's slightly better than the Canon, but it's been discontinued.

Image stabilization is never a bad thing, and sometimes it's a good thing. Leave it on.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 1:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
There are two choices in your price range. They're both stabilized (so it's not like you have a choice):
  • Another Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II ($199)
  • Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM ($199)
The Sigma is a very nice lens. It's slightly better than the Canon, but it's been discontinued.

Image stabilization is never a bad thing, and sometimes it's a good thing. Leave it on.
Thanks for the response! Is the Sigma optically better or do you say it is better because of the aperture? Is it worth going with the Sigma over the Canon? The 18-55 is a lot easier to find, especially used so it can probably be had cheaper than the $200, and it looks like you can't get the Sigma any cheaper than $200 and I haven't found any used or anything in my quick search.

Thanks!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 1:36 PM   #4

The Sigma does have a 2/3 stop advantage over the Canon, but it also has less chromatic aberration and slightly less vignetting. Where their ranges overlap, one might be sharper than the other at certain focal lengths and apertures, so they're about equal. But then there's that 2/3 stop advantage thing.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 3:41 PM   #5

Quote:
The Sigma does have a 2/3 stop advantage over the Canon, but it also has less chromatic aberration and slightly less vignetting. Where their ranges overlap, one might be sharper than the other at certain focal lengths and apertures, so they're about equal. But then there's that 2/3 stop advantage thing.
Thanks, so in your opinion the Sigma is an upgrade?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 4:59 PM   #6

I don't know that I'd replace the Canon with the Sigma, but if I didn't have anything, I'd pick the Sigma.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 2:56 PM   #7

Quote:
I don't know that I'd replace the Canon with the Sigma, but if I didn't have anything, I'd pick the Sigma.
Thanks again for your input! I ended up going a COMPLETELY different direction, haha.

I ended up ordering the Canon T4i w/ 18-135 STM lens + 40mm pancake lens at Adorama for $899 shipped (plus tax) and will get $45 back for using a Visa card and 2% rewards. Plus I went through my upromise account for another 5% cash back.

I have always wished I could shoot video with my SLR anyway and the XSi doesn't do that. So I will probably just sell my XSi now.