Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 15, 2004, 7:56 PM   #1

Default Simple question regarding lenses

I'm new to SLR digicams and am about to look deeper into buying a 10D or D-Rebel. Right now I'm using an old Canon A1 and I really like my setup with the lenses I've got and all. I'm just really wanting to go digital.
So I can't use my FD lenses on something like the 10D or D-Rebel, can I? I've got a great macro, telephoto, and fisheye lense (especially), that I'd love to carry over with me but I'm pretty sure they won't work on the new cameras.
Thanks for any info guys!
-Tim
-Ever- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2004, 11:46 PM   #2

No, unfortunately you can't. I don't believe (but I could be wrong) that an adapter was made either.

If you own any flashes they might work (but not in E-TTL mode.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2004, 12:05 AM   #3

Here's a quote I found. Take it for what you think:

Canon FD lenses are manual-focus only lenses which Canon sold in the years before switching over to the autofocus EF system. Many, particularly those made in the late 70s and early 80s, offer excellent optical quality, have smoothly-operating metal barrels and are available quite inexpensively on the used market. So the obvious thought comes to mind - can such lenses be attached to EOS cameras?

Unfortunately the lens mounts used by the two systems are completely incompatible. FD lens mounts are smaller in diameter, have a different lens register from EF lenses, rely on mechanical levers to control lens aperture, are of a breech-lock design (rotating pressure ring) and never contain autofocus motors.* EF lens mounts are larger in diameter, are of a bayonet mount design (put lens into camera and rotate partway to lock), support electronic control of the lens aperture and the lenses usually contain autofocus motors.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2004, 12:07 PM   #4

thanks for the help guys I hate to see this fisheye go, but what the heck. Sure someone else could use it just as much.
-Tim
-Ever- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2004, 4:09 PM   #5
-jb

Thera are several versions of FD to EOS converters. Try a search on "Lens Mount Adapter" or "FD to EOS".

Here's a link to two on B&H's web site:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont....x=0&image.y=0

I don't know how well they perform. Most of the reviews on them have been less than glowing. Canon originally made an adapter that was for specific Canon lenses. It looks like the one to get, but I haven't been able to find one. Here's a link (thanks to NHL):

http://www.wildpicture.com/firstfram...ystemother.htm

It doesn't look like the Canon adapter will work on your fisheye. But it might on other lenses... Post back and let me know how it works if you get one...

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 11:47 PM   #6

Why go the conversion route, and not take advantage of the AF of the EF lenses? Sell your FD lenses and use the money to get some EF lenses? Or alternatively, get a D300 kit and use that for a while to get the feeling of AF with the 18-55 lens in the kit.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 1:34 PM   #7

Default No, No, No!

If you can get an FD to EF converter, at least keep the fisheye and the macro lenses. First of all, manual focus on those lenses is fine. Second of all, everybody coplains about not having a wide enough angle on the DRebel or 10D because of the 1.6 crop factor. A quality fisheye, manually focused, would be a valuable addition to the digital camaera.
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote