Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 20, 2013, 2:04 PM   #1

Default unsure of what to buy.

Hi, so i have a 600D with the standard 18-55 lens kit, i am thinking about buying a new lens for it but i am unsure as to what i should be looking at.

Should i only be looking at the Canon lenses or should i consider any of the others such as Sigma, Tamron etc ?

The main thing i am looking for over the standard lens is more zoom but still usable hand held.

I have been looking and trying to research and i am leaning towards the Canon EF-S 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 IS Lens, i heve read that it is a good all rounder and good for travelling, like when on holiday etc and you cannot take a lot of kit with you or do not want to be changing lenses.

can anyone suggest anything else, i dont mind having to change lenses if there is something else much better for a similar price or should i be looking something else ?

any help and info would be greatly appreciated!
Blaupunkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2013, 2:36 PM   #2

should have said i have also looked at the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 3:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaupunkt View Post
Hi, so i have a 600D with the standard 18-55 lens kit, i am thinking about buying a new lens for it but i am unsure as to what i should be looking at.

Should i only be looking at the Canon lenses or should i consider any of the others such as Sigma, Tamron etc ?
Some Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina lenses are very good, and some are not so good. You should never accept or reject a lens based on the nameplate. BTW, the same is true of Canon's lenses.

Quote:
The main thing i am looking for over the standard lens is more zoom but still usable hand held.
Stabilized lenses (Canon's IS, Sigma's OS, and Tamron's VC lenses) will provide images without motion blur due to camera shake, and so are all usable handheld, as far as that goes.

Quote:
I have been looking and trying to research and i am leaning towards the Canon EF-S 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 IS Lens, i heve read that it is a good all rounder and good for travelling, like when on holiday etc and you cannot take a lot of kit with you or do not want to be changing lenses.
Superzoom lenses like the 18-200 and longer have more distortion, field curvature, vignetting and chromatic aberration than lenses of less ambitious zoom ranges. So convenience comes at the expense of image quality.

Quote:
can anyone suggest anything else, i dont mind having to change lenses if there is something else much better for a similar price or should i be looking something else ?
In fact multiple lenses of less ambitious zoom ranges will not only provide better image quality, the combination will usually cost less as well.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 2:16 PM   #4

thanks for the reply, so what other lenses do you recommend i look at ?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 2:47 PM   #5

Depending on what you are looking for in a lens, I like and have some of the following:

55-250: an excellent lens for an APS-C body that is pretty sharp and reasonably priced

15-85: is a fantastic walk around lens (better than the 18-55) as you get more out of it. If you want more low light, the 17-55 2.8 is ideal. Both, if they were on a Full Frame have been tooted as being "L" worthy.

60mm macro: is fantastic for a crop body and excellent for portraits/baby shots

Sigma 10-20mm wide angle is decent for landscapes. I haven't had any trouble with mine although I am thinking of selling it as I have the 17-40 L for my FF.

Hope this helps...

Canon 5D III
50mm 1.2 L l 24-70 F2.8 L l 70-200 F4 L l 40mm 2.8 l 100mmL 2.8 macro

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alainn...39490172728282
http://alainnbellephotography.smugmug.com/
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 5:15 PM   #6

Another option for the lowlight standard zoom is the stabilized Sigma 17-50/2.8 or the unstabilized Tamron 17-50/2.8.

And a lower priced alternative to the Canon 15-85 is the stabilized Sigma 17-70.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 11:10 AM   #7

plus 1 for the sigma 17-70os its a very good all round lens
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2013, 2:45 AM   #8

OK thanks for the replies.

I have been looking more and cannot decide if i should just go with the 18-55 lens i got with the camera and add something like a Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens or the cheaper Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens or maybe even the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM Lens to use a long my current lens.

Or should i get something like a Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC OS HSM >link< or the Sigma 17-70 mm f2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM optical stabilisation lens <link i imagine these are slightly different lens ??? even though to me they look the same, or the Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM Lens to potentially replace the current 18-55 kit lens, these 3 lenses are all similar price on amazon.co.uk at least.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 6:48 AM   #9

The Canon 17-85 isn't very good. Also, the newer Sigma is better than the older one.

STM lenses have quieter AF motors, and so are better suited for shooting videos. If you intend to shoot mainly stills, the STM doesn't provide much benefit. But if you do intend to shoot videos, you might want to consider the Canon 18-135 which is a better zoom range for videos.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 6:53 PM   #10

For a wide angle lens, take a look at the Tokina 12-24 (read the reviews). It's great for getting up close in and still taking decent shots.

For a walk around lens, I would agree that the Sigma 17-70 is good value (I have one, and I use it as much as the wide angle).

For mid-telephoto, the canon 7-200 F/4 IS is a really nice valued lens. You can pick one up used for about $575 to $625.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote