Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:55 AM   #1

Default Single Lens to Replace Canon t3i's 18-55 and 55-250?

I have a Canon t3i with the stock 18-55 lens and also have a Canon 55-250 zoom lens (4/f-5.6 IS EF-S). I'm looking to find a single lens that can replace both of these that are of the same quality or better. I don't use the camera much, but always bring it on trips several times a year and wind up taking thousands of pictures. I'm planning on going to Africa at some point next year and would love to have a nice combo lens for shooting during a safari instead of fumbling around trying to change lenses. IS is obviously important with the zoom, and I'd like to keep the price under control. I will probably wind up selling my other two lenses once I know a new one can successfully replace them. Any suggestions?
drdavidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:29 PM   #2

Given that you're looking to replace the said lenses above- the obvious choices are Canon's own 18-200IS or maybe one of the Tamron or Sigma superzoom lenses which offer a bit more zoom on the long end.
None of the above however,will be optically superior to what you have- though of course far more convenient..!
If you're looking for superior optical performance and a wide angle and large zoom in one lens,you might be looking for quite a while...!
That's not to say "all in one's" are poor (indeed,I had a Tamron 18-270mm VR lens and loved it), but your expectations have to be realistic.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 6:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdavidge View Post
I have a Canon t3i with the stock 18-55 lens and also have a Canon 55-250 zoom lens (4/f-5.6 IS EF-S). I'm looking to find a single lens that can replace both of these ...
The are a number of "superzoom" lenses that have focal lengths that cover about the range your two lenses have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdavidge View Post
... that are of the same quality or better.
Not gonna happen.

All available superzoom lenses have much more distortion, chromatic aberration, and vignetting, and aren't as sharp as the lenses you've got now.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2013, 1:08 PM   #4

The Canon 18-200mmIS and the Tamron 18-270mm lenses are both good units and do give very nice image quality. There are not Canon "L" lens quality but they do a very nice all around job. Check online for pictures taken with both lenses and judge for yourself, then get the one you like best.