Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 20, 2013, 9:20 AM   #1

Default Co-owning a lens

I'd love to have a 400mm 2.8 IS lens. But I'd rarely use it. So renting that lens may be the best answer.

However, my brother in law, who is also a Canon shooter, shoots high school wrestling matches. He would have far greater use for that lens than I do.

There is a website that deals in good used equipment, and has a generous return policy if the used lens is unacceptable once we see it.

So we're thinking about splitting the cost 50/50. During the time that he uses the lens on a regular basis, he'd have "primary custody" of the lens. But other than that, either of us could have access to it whenever we needed it.

We live 3 miles apart and his children take piano lessons from my bride and we go to church together, so it's not like we're shipping the lens from one spot to another.

Would you ever co-own a lens? Does this sound like a bad idea?

Right now, the used 400mm 2.8 IS lens with some wear showing, but clean glass is priced at $3500.00 US Dollars.

I'd love to hear what you think.

Faithfully yours,
FP
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2013, 9:31 AM   #2

He would use a 400mm f/2.8 prime lens to shoot High School Wrestling?!?!?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2013, 9:54 AM   #3

TCav,

Are you implying that's too much zoom for that setting?
He's required to be quite a distance from the action.
Without a the long lens and low f-stop, it's difficult to get much bokeh. With the speed of the action, he needs the fast shutter speed.

I just don't know about the correct focal length, but I have seen his work at 200mm and they look like snapshots, rather than photos that he can sell.

As always, thanks for sharing your insights. You, TCav, have really helped to make me a better photographer!

FP
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2013, 11:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithfulPastor View Post

I just don't know about the correct focal length, but I have seen his work at 200mm and they look like snapshots, rather than photos that he can sell.
I'm with TCAV. If your brother-in-law does not have floor access for wrestling and must sit in the stands he's not going to make money period. a 400mm 2.8 is a TERRIBLE business decision for that purpose. He'd never make the money back.
He needs to work on getting the appropriate access not buying $7000 lenses.

Shoot from the floor with a 70-200 2.8 and flash (or strobes) is how you shoot wrestling:

You haven't stated what your intended use for the lens would be, so I'm not sure how much buying one makes sense for what you want to do. But, it makes zero sense to try and use it to shoot HS wrestling matches for sales.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2014, 8:00 PM   #5

Depends what your budget is.

For low budget, a Canon 70-200 F4 lens is about $600. You can use a teleconverter to take it out to 300mm at F5.6.

If your not making money on these shots, that's about as far as I would take it.

As for co-owning, sound like a hassle if you are both using this lens every week.

Lenses tend to hold their value fairly well. So you can always sell later on.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote