Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:26 AM   #1

Default Technically, what's the challenge

So far, Canon has not offered their 24-70, 2.8 with image stabilization.

From a technical standpoint (as opposed to a marketing standpoint) what are the challenges to adding image stabilization to this lens?

Is it primarily due to the 24mm length? Is it due to the 2.8F?

Thanks for the education!

Faithfully Yours,
FP
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:24 AM   #2

cost mostly - but size & weight too. All with limited gain for the professional market the lens is aimed at. Again, how often is a professional photographer needing to hand-hold at slower than 1/70 shutter speed with this type of lens?
Amateurs yes - that's why kit lenses are stabilized.
telephoto and supertelephoto lenses - sure.

You'll see even Sigma didn't go OS on their 24-70 2.8.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:29 AM   #3

John,

Why is it more expensive for IS on a 24-70 than it is for 24-105?

I guess it has to do with the 2.8f vs the 4.0f but I'd really like to understand why the f-stop makes it more expensive to work with.

Thanks!
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:39 AM   #4

no, sorry, my understanding is the cost would be driven by the complexity of the lens elements. But, my real point was - it would add cost to an already expensive 24-70 lens. Maybe another $300-400 in retail price. So the total price of the 24-70 2.8 would go up. Remember, the 24-105 is a kit lens. IS is pretty much essential from a marketing standpoint in a kit lens. At 105mm it also falls into that "telephoto" range. The 24-70 2.8 is a much more specialized lens. So, the criteria for whether or not to include a feature like IS is going to be different.

Quite honestly, if I were going to buy a 24-70 2.8 I'd be much happier Canon spent their money getting the optics right in this lens rather than on building an IS system for it. Here's hoping when they come out with their own 35mm 1.4 replacement (rumored for this year) they do the same thing.

But, there's also a rumor of sigma coming out with an OS version of the 24-70 2.8. That will put the pressure on Canon.

On that front, I'm still nervous about the latest Sigma offerings in Canon. There seem to still be focus issues. Tough to spend big $$$ on a lens specifically designed for shallow DOF that doesn't always focus accurately.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2014, 1:46 PM   #5
NHL

I tend to agree with John, as for this type of lens it's better to spend more on improving the optic than IS. Zeiss is actually making a kit in this range for the discerning photographers:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details

Beside most landscape photographers will live by their tripod so IS is pretty much useless to them
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:20 PM   #6

IS requires an entire lens group positioned on a 2 axis gimbal. Large aperture lenses require bigger, heavier elements in that IS Group, and a bigger, heavier IS Group is harder to shift quickly in order to compensate for camera shake.

I'm certain it could be done. After all, they've done it in the 17-55/2.8 and the 70-200/2.8. But it may not be something they can just tack onto the existing design. Note, btw, that Nikon's 24-70/2.8 isn't stabilized either, so this may be a significant challenge for such a large aperture and this zoom range.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote