Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 13, 2015, 6:24 PM   #1

Default 28-135 vs. 24-105

My bride shoots mostly on vacations and some family gatherings. She shoots with a canon XSi. the only lens she ever shoots with is the Canon 28 - 135 lens.

do you think she would see significantly better results if she were to upgrade to the current canon 24 - 105 lens?

faithfully yours,
FP
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2015, 7:31 PM   #2

G'day mate

The nearly-impossible question with a million answers

As it's her shooting, she will have her preferences too
I don't think it's a matter if lens IQ - it's more a matter of which end of the zoom she uses mostly as there's a tiny bit of angular-coverage difference ~ and whether she wants to change at all

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2015, 7:34 PM   #3

Yes. The 24-105 is a lot sharper, though it does have a little more CA.

Does she do a lot of shooting between 105 and 135mm?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:16 PM   #4

First, if you're married, you spend time trying to make your spouse happy whereas, it were someone else, you'd be a bit more curt in your reply.

So here's the problem.

She likes the XSi 28-135 for most snapshots that she takes. She's not a camera person and the XSi is fairly simple to operate.

However, when she wants a photo with great color and a sharp focus, she tells me to shoot it with my camera.

I think the biggest hurdle is that she won't shoot in RAW mode, but wants her photos to look like those that are. The XSi has only 1 SD card slot. Shooting in RAW eats up storage space. Plus she doesn't like spending the time to do the RAW to JPEG conversion, then edit.

So..... I was wondering if a better lens would make a difference. I did not think it would make much of a difference, but I figured I'd ask you guys first.

I think I'm going to tell her to shoot in RAW & JPEG. She can "proof" the photos in JPEG and I'll take care of the processing. So now all I need to do is buy another SD card or two.

Michael
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2015, 2:44 PM   #5

I like doing things for my wife, too.

I don't like HAVING to do things for my wife, though. And I like seeing her being independent and self-sufficient.

I think I'd get her a 60D or 70D that is capable of better image quality than her XSi, and let her feel more confident in her own gear. And maybe a better lens wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 9:01 PM   #6
NHL

Just MHO but both lenses are wrong for her camera (or any APS-C camera for that matter) as both the 28-135 and 24-105 are meant for full-frame bodies

It depends on what she shoots, but she is getting a lot of zoom, but not enough of a wide angle for indoor shots. IMO she should be looking at lens starting @ 18mm to be more practical in close quarter... (even if she changes to a 60D or 70D as they are also APS-C)

One of the better lens in this area is the Sigma ART series and it would exceed the IQ of both the 28-135 and 24-105 hand down, but there are a lot of others to choose from: http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma-18-35-1-8
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:35 AM   #7

I dispute NHL's contention that ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL View Post
... both lenses are wrong for her camera (or any APS-C camera for that matter) as both the 28-135 and 24-105 are meant for full-frame bodies ...
... but I concede that, for typical event photography, the Canon 15-85 might be a better choice (on an APS-C body.)

But it comes down to what focal lengths she's been using. If she's comfortable with the range of her 28-135, there's nothing inherently wrong with using it on an APS-C body.

Perhaps this might be a good time to figure out what 35mm equivalent focal lengths you end up using on those occasions when she asks you to take the photos. She may not just be after the "great color" and "sharp focus"; the situation may just call for an angle of view that she can't get with her gear.