Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 19, 2016, 3:49 PM   #1

Default Decision..Tamron or Sigma

What to buy..What would be the better lens..The
Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM OS FLD

or the ..I cannot afford the canon f2.8..Looking for fast and quiet Tamron SP 70-200MM F/2.8 DI VC USD

autofocus..Thanks for reading
nitti48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:23 PM   #2

1) Read reviews
2) Post a question here - http://www.dpreview.com/forums/1043? utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=mainmenu&utm_medium=text&ref=mainm enu
3) rent the respective lenses and find out for yourself
4) Buy used from ebay,amazon,KEH etc.

Hope this helps.
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2016, 11:40 AM   #3
conor

I have the Sigma 70-200mm for Nikon.
I too had the choice: Tamron, Sigma, or the Nikon I couldn't afford.

Though I never did try the Tamron or the Nikon in the real world, I can say I've been extremely happy with the Sigma. The focus is fast, it's a sharp lens at its price point, it's very comfortable to hold, and the build feels very solid.

Note: I have an older version of the Sigma, it does not have IS/OS/etc. It's a bit tough for me to hold stable at 200mm (I have jittery hands), but the tripod mount works beautifully for the longer focal lengths.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:25 AM   #4

According to SLRGear.com, neither is quite as good as the Canon, but optically, here isn't much that distinguishes them, one from the other.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:29 PM   #5
conor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
According to SLRGear.com, neither is quite as good as the Canon, but optically, here isn't much that distinguishes them, one from the other.
I found similar information.
All the reviews I've read suggest that the Canon and Nikon 70-200s outperform the Tamron and Sigma.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:37 PM   #6

I have two Canon bodies both 7D's now, though I have had others and at first I spent the extra money for Canon lenses but after a while I got tired of the major internal dust problems that I encountered with them and the flimsy build of their non-L series lenses, the EF & EF-S. I primarily shoot macro and though I liked Canons EF-100 and EF-S 60 mm lenses, I found Sigma's EX DG 105 mm macro to out perform the EF-100mm of Canons and Sigma's EX DG 50 mm macro out performing the EF-S 60 mm that Canon offers. The build of the Sigma lenses are much more sturdy and the images that I get from them are sharper and much more detailed than what I was getting from Canon lenses and the color rendering seems to be of much better quality also. For a third party lens, I was sold on Sigma both in quality of product and in price. However, I do like Canon bodies and their fast turn around when you need service. I wore out the shutter on one of my 7D's and had it back in about a little over a week shipping from North Carolina to the repair facility in Virginia and back of course. I have three other Sigma lenses also and all are very well built and sharp as a tack and I recommend that if you are looking for a very excellent 24mm wide angle, the Sigma EX DG 24mm F/1.8 is a real sweetheart of a lens at a really good price. So if I had my choice of lenses Canon, Tamron or Sigma, I would chose the Sigma. Better quality and more bang for the buck!

Last edited by Ken Ramos; Jan 21, 2016 at 9:39 PM. Reason: typo
Ken Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2016, 7:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ramos View Post
... I primarily shoot macro and though I liked Canons EF-100 and EF-S 60 mm lenses, I found Sigma's EX DG 105 mm macro to out perform the EF-100mm of Canons and Sigma's EX DG 50 mm macro out performing the EF-S 60 mm that Canon offers. ...
Nobody makes a bad macro lens, so I don't think selecting one brand of lens over another based on your experiences with a few macro lenses is wise. And according to SLRGear, the differences between the Canon lenses you mentioned and the Sigma lenses you mentioned is that the Canon lenses have less CA, but the differences are slight.

Every lens manufacturer makes some gems and some dogs. The quality and applicability of a type of lens should be based on the individual lenses under consideration, not some foregone conclusion about brand preference.

Last edited by TCav; Jan 24, 2016 at 5:50 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote