Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 12, 2002, 3:29 PM   #1

Default EF 28-135 IS USM

Hi @ll!

I bet, I'm not the only one who likes this lens.

Today I made further testing on my D30 with macro and I found out, that the minimum distance is shorter as Canon says ... it's less than 50cm ... I think something about 30cm.

O.k., it's not the perfect macro lens, but I think it's a very good allrounder for beginners or let's say for SLR starters like me.
Chris™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2002, 6:21 PM   #2

Default 28-135 lens

Chris,
I use that lens with my D60, and it does very well, especialy with the Image Stabilization. If you like macro images, you can get a relatively inexpensive set of Hoya closeup lenses that will let you focus much, much closer. I will try to include an image with all 3 closeup lenses screwed onto the 28-135. It was handheld, and not particularly perpendicular to the coin, but you can see the possibilities.
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2002, 6:30 AM   #3

Default Close-up lenses

Hi Walter,

yes, close-up lenses are an option, but I would prefer B+W instead of Hoya ... the B+W NL4 worked great on my Canon G1 ... very good edge sharpness for a single element lens and no visible CA.
Another option might be an extension tube ... the optics would be much better, but it only reduces the minimum distance and it will cost us one or even two f-stops.
Also very nice is a retro-ring ... gives great magnification, but the working distance is veeery small.
For "hunting" insects a close-up lens would be the best choice.
Old Jun 15, 2002, 5:05 PM   #4

Yes, this is a nice lens. It was my first for the D30, and I've taken some fabulous looking shots with it.

With the D30, I did have to go with a 17-35mm to keep from backing into walls. I'd like to sell the 17-35mm and trade up to the 16-35mm...anyone use this lens?
MarkM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2002, 6:38 PM   #5

Hi Mark,

I'm also searching for a good wide angle and am still undecided, so I first bought me a good tele today: Canon EF 75-300 IS.
I read a lot of criticism about this lens, but it's much better, than I read. O.k., it's not perfect, but the IS is great as the price.

But I think, we should start new threads about these lenses.

To answer your question ... maybe you should read this article:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/17_35VS16_35/index.html

Greetings from Germany

Chris

[Edited on 15-6-2002 by Chris™]
Old Jun 16, 2002, 3:34 PM   #6

I have this lens and its range, the IS and sharpness is fine. However it underexposes by one stop and the underexposure is erratic depending on light which makes it very hard to guess the correct exposure. Also when using fill flash on it, it the exposure doesnt change from no fill.
sasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2002, 11:54 AM   #7

Hi Sasc,

then there must be something wrong with your lens ... my exposure is correct on the D30.
But there's a thread in the Canon-SLR forum at www.dpreview.com, that there are problems with flash exposure (D30/D60/1D), but it's not only this lens but many other zooms too. Have a look.
Old Jun 20, 2002, 8:57 PM   #8

On mine its definately the lens. Ive taken same shots with all my lenses and this one will be 1 stop under. If I set the EV for +1 and the flash compensation for -1 the flash shots are OK. However it is a pain to remember to do this whenever changing lenses
sasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2002, 1:31 PM   #9

Rehi Sasc,

did you ever think about Canon Support? Is it still under warranty? With my 28-135 IS I don't need exposure compensation.
Old Jun 29, 2002, 6:52 AM   #10

Default Mark M:

Hi,

I use the EF16-35, and find that it is fine for me. If you like the 28-135, the 16-35 is sharper and contrastier. At 16mm and f-2.8, it is not as sharp at the edges as a prime 16mm, but if you want a zoom in this range it is excellent.
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote