Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 10, 2004, 8:10 PM   #1

Default Tamron 28-300 XR with 300D

Hi, I'm a bit new on this SLR camera. Just got my 300D yesterday. I'm looking at an additional lens. Thinking about buying a NEW Tamron 28-300 XR lens for my 300D... Any comment on this combination?

Hammerli
Hammerli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2004, 8:51 PM   #2

Just food for thought ... take it for what it's worth .... I have no personal knowledge of the lens you're considering, but in general, lenses that cover from the wide angle to the long telephoto range are generally of lesser quality than those that cover narrower ranges.

While it may be convenient to have to change lenses less often, you will sacrifice some image quality.

(I'll probably be assaulted by those that have this lens and think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but that's ok ... my comment is just general in nature and definately not gospel )
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 9:40 PM   #3

Default Thanks OHenry!

Your comment is valueable. I will keep that in mind when the final decision comes, which will be pretty soon.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 12:38 AM   #4

Another thing to consider about that 28-300 lens....at some point as it nears 300mm it "slows" down to a maximum aperture of f6.3. Once the lens slows beyond f5.6 I'm not sure you'll have autofocus with the Digital Rebel.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 9:32 AM   #5

I think this lens some award in Europe last year. Reviews on it were pretty good. I just bought this lens last Friday, got it yesterday. Was $360 at B&H plus a $40 & $10 rebate. You have to get the $10 bonus rebate off of Tamron's site.

I also have a 70-200 2.8 Sigma, but on some occasions, that thing is going to be unwieldy. Like someone mentioned, I'm willing to sacrifice a little bit for the convenience of a wide range lens. I'll post some pics when I get a chance to use it.
aaltenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 5:45 PM   #6

Quote:
I'm not sure you'll have autofocus with the Digital Rebel.

The Tamron 28-300 does auto focus with the DRebel, very fast in fact...

Quote:
but in general, lenses that cover from the wide angle to the long telephoto range are generally of lesser quality than those that cover narrower ranges.
I think there is some truth to this (but nothing too terrible that can't be corrected in PhotShop). However, the Tamron 28-300 is pretty good for the trade off in price, convenience (not lugging multiple lenses around) and preserving the sensor from dust and grit w/multiple lens changes.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 1:54 AM   #7

Default Canon VS Tamron

Thanks for all comments. They are truly valuable to me.

I went to the shop yesterday. The guy was showing me around the shop. He would recommend the Canon 28-135 IS USM lens. I took a few shots with it. The pictures were obviously great because of the IS. I like the feel of it, but the price is around US$475 here comparing with the Tamron 28-300 (around US$350).

Any recommendation on these two lens? Is it worth to go for the Canon lens while sacrifying the zoom capability?
Old Mar 15, 2004, 3:40 PM   #8

Hammeril,

I purchased the Tamron 28-300 for my Canon 10D and tried it and was very disappointed with the results. I wrote to Tamron and even sent them comparison photos from their lens vs some of my other Canon lens, they told me that I should, "Go buy another 28-300 and see if that is any better than the first one"......

I told them very politely that I am NOT their quality control dept.

The photos were all very soft not at all what I expected. I knew that they would not be as sharp as my 70-200 2.8L, but I wanted something that was much lighter and thought the 28-300 would give me acceptable phots but it clearly did not.

We have a very good local dealer who allowed me to return the lens. From now on it's only Canon for me.

Hope this helps,
Greg
Papa G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2004, 10:33 PM   #9

Papa G makes a very valid point - the Tamron photos are softer than a Canon lens. I address this by sharpening my Tamron shots in post w/Photoshop. This works nicely on almost all shots; I have had a few low light, wide angle shots remain a little soft. Again, the trade-off is a wider lense range, lighter to carry around and fewer lens changes to gunk up the processor. Like most aspects of photography, there's more than one right answer - you have to decide what is right for you :idea:
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 8:03 AM   #10

I would go with either the 28-135mm or the 28-200USM from Canon. Definitely sharper than the Tamrons.

The 28-200USM isn't that expensive, either. $359.95 at B&H.

The Tamron's going for $329.95 after rebate.
Polaris20 is offline   Reply With Quote