Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 30, 2004, 8:33 PM   #11

With the 2.8 you keep the AF (I'll bet you're pleased about that). Now quit talking about that lens or you're gonna make me jealous.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 8:55 PM   #12

How's it going tonight? I ended up bailing on the Bigma. It was backordered, so I just cancelled. I'll wait until summer and order it then. Think that will be a real good lens for football. That made the cash flow situation a bit less precarious too. The mother of all lenses is supposed to get here on Friday. I'll get some pics posted.

Do you keep IS as well with those TC's?

Can't say enough about the input you've given me. Thanks. Developing a website is the next big project.
aaltenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 9:32 PM   #13

Probably a good move bailing on the Bigma since with the converters you will have a decent range with IS on top of it. I "think" you maintain IS...let's wait until NHL reads this thread and he'll tell us both. That will give you a bit of cash to spread around with your little guy, showing him the ropes on how to use that "white whale" well. I think you are going to love that lens, Andy.

Have a pile of fun with that partner of yours!
Old Mar 30, 2004, 11:13 PM   #14

Yes, IS is maintaine with TC's attached.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 11:21 PM   #15

Thanks Hebry, wow, you beat NHL to the draw, that's something to be proud about.
Old Apr 1, 2004, 5:18 PM   #16

Feel like a kid on Christmas Eve. My 70-200 IS will be here tomorrow. Terrific news on the IS. Thanks for all your replies. Norm, after thinking about it, I might just get a prime, I don't know. I've got a Sigma 24-70 F/3.5-5.6, Canon 50mm f/1.8, and the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS. Also have a Sigma 1.4x and 2.0x TC. I'm thinking I should have enough range for football/baseball with that combo.

How would a Canon 85 or 100 prime be for indoor sports? Besides being a little pricey, that 135mm might actuall be too close. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old Apr 1, 2004, 5:28 PM   #17

Quote:
How would a Canon 85 or 100 prime be for indoor sports? Besides being a little pricey, that 135mm might actuall be too close. Anyone have any thoughts?
Your 70-200 f/2.8 IS will be quite sharp at both of those lengths. Unless you're looking at smaller f-stop lenses (or the macro in the case of the 100), I'm not sure what significant advantage you'll be acheiving. You're going to fall in love with that new lens!
Old Apr 1, 2004, 5:58 PM   #18

Ohenry, thanks. Any other thoughts about sports photo lenses? Got about $500 (that my wife doesn't know about) to stick into equipment. All suggestions welcome.
Old Apr 1, 2004, 6:15 PM   #19

I don't do sports photos, but I would think the 70-200 f/2.8 IS will be quite handy unless you are far away from the subject. But then if it's outdoors (baseball), the TC's are going to help there.
Old Apr 1, 2004, 6:22 PM   #20

Ohenry, any other "must-have" items you can think of, lenses? I'm looking to get a/some items with that $500. If I wait, it'll be chipped away over the course of a couple of months. Want to get something worthwhile.