Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 18, 2004, 10:43 AM   #1

Default Kodak DCS-14 for EF mount lenses

I haven't seen any comments about this (yet) but there's a new option for our Canon lenses - Kodak's has a Canon mount DCS-14c.

Looks like a Sigma body, Kodak sensor and EOS lenses. Almost a Frankenstein camera...

The rep at the local store says that the DCS-14n is more of a 'studio' camera since the battery life is quite poor. The layout of features is very different but I could see a studio photographer with existing EOS glass using it. In studio I think you can take the time to play around with controls a bit more and many would be also be used to having medium format cameras in studio.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2004, 1:47 PM   #2

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0403/04031802kodakslrc.asp
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 6:49 AM   #3

That is so odd that they used a Sigma body for it, when they could have used a (more familiar to Canon users) Elan body.

Not that the Sigma layout is bad, it's just an odd choice to mix it up like that.

I hope the DCS Pro/N and DCS Pro/C are better than the 14n was.
Polaris20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 8:16 AM   #4
NHL

Previous Kodak DCS camera did use Canon bodies... I guest Canon didn't want to license their stuff like Nikon (or charge them an exhorbitant fee). Sigma is their next best bet since they already have reverse engineered the EF mount as well as the EX flash.

Beside Nikon don't have an equivalent body, but Canon do, and this camera conflict with their interest in the studio... :P
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 9:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
Previous Kodak DCS camera did use Canon bodies... I guest Canon didn't want to license their stuff like Nikon (or charge them an exhorbitant fee). Sigma is their next best bet since they already have reverse engineered the EF mount as well as the EX flash.

Beside Nikon don't have an equivalent body, but Canon do, and this camera conflict with their interest in the studio... :P
We had 3 older Kodaks sitting in one of the storage rooms at work, and they were all EOS1's with the DCS system that looked like a huge motordrive.

They were all 1.3mp! They retailed for something like $20k or something like that, really expensive.

Amazing how times change and technology gets better and cheaper.

in 5 years we'll be shooting a magnesium bodied, 20mp Canon that sells for $500.
Polaris20 is offline   Reply With Quote