Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 24, 2004, 10:04 AM   #21
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaltenburger
It's just a matter of the approach you take. Call it negotiating. I'll tell my wife I'm looking at the 300-800 at $4,500. I'll tell her I've reconsidered and am now going to get a 50-500. I'll be a hero for making such a sacrifice! If only it were that easy.
The problem with this approach is I've used this line before with the camera(s) ie my umpteen times!... "Come on what is the real cost?" since we keep adding options after options... ie a money pit! :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 10:26 AM   #22

Which brings us right back to my original solution....DON'T EVER TELL THE WIFE! :lol:
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 10:47 AM   #23

Default Wife dealings!

I used to have a Sony FD73, didn't even have a camera bag. T carried it and a supply of disks in a ziplock sandwich bag. After six years of evolution and a mariad of models I now have a Canon system that fills my needs. No way does it fit in a sandwich bag, it doesn't even fit in a camera bag! About 60lbs of gear stowed in two rubbermade storage bins. I don't even want to discuss the tripod collection, extension arms ,clamps and assorted heads. The last head I bought was a bit more expensive than the FD73, That was a very very tough spousal sell.
My wife is frustrated with all the gear I drag everywhere but I dare not pare down the equipment list as I am certain I will miss a shot that requires a different lens. My wife is currently not speaking to me, perhaps my last sales pitch? I told her that I knew that the 1Ds was just horrendously expensive and I won't do that BUT HONEY LOOK, the new 1D mkII is just every thing I want and it will save us thousands of dollars! I won't ever need another camera, this one was made to last me the rest of my life and I won't even have to buy a plethera of lenses cause everything I have will fit HOORAY....But later I might need that Sigms 300-800 just to extract all the benifits the camera has to offer............She didn't even ask what it cost, she just walked away.
Hmmmmmmmm... do you think I should have waited to mention the lens? I'll have to work on a more low key approach, I think reading her a magizine article and spouting specifications while she was watching TV may have pushed her over the top.
Any suggestions Guys?
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 11:07 AM   #24

LOL Tom. Your tale hits close to home. Reminds me of the time I was having dinner with my wife and another couple. In the middle of dinner, my friend asked me how I was enjoying the new set of golf clubs. My wife looked at me and says "You bought new clubs?"
:roll:

Fortunately, she's now grown accustomed to my obsessive-compulsive need to constantly upgrade my things and no longer asks ... she just rolls her eyes and walks off.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 12:37 PM   #25

I've gone to having camera and computer items shipped to work. I had the credit card company add my work address since my wife beats me home from work. Nothing escapes her... She asks, "when did you get THAT?" At which point the wheels in my head start churning. It's like being a prisoner and not wanting to reveal any information to the enemy.
aaltenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 8:41 PM   #26

Tss, Tss, gentlemen your are not alone in the world. I find it strange that one one hand people complain about the cost of mariage and divorce and once maried, you try to divorce your wifes by buying expensive toys 'n tools?

Unless one is in the comfortable position of having a surplu of money, it is natural that each keep an eye on the others spending behaviour...You wouldn't like your beloved to spend a $1000 on clothes and assecoires, would you? Yet you like it if she feels and looks good. Well you don't look any better with a big lens in front of you. So try to explain in terms of professional oppertunities the reasons for a big lens and let her be the judge of your chances. Afterall she is your beloved and companion, not your mother.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 9:05 PM   #27

Mathilde uP, that's hitting a little too close to home for the people who have responded to this thread :-) I take it you've had this conversation before?
aaltenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 9:23 PM   #28

:roll:
Old Mar 24, 2004, 10:18 PM   #29

If I remember correctly, financial reasons are #1 for divorce in the USA....

Personally, my partner and I have a very good understanding. She makes her money, and I make mine. As long as it isn't going to cause us financial hardship (and she knows that I won't go that far) I can spend it how I please. Of course, she also knows that I believe social security will not exist by the time I can access it, so I save a huge percent of my income for the future.

I wonder if I got this from my mom, who always had a job of her own and that gave her spending money to do as she pleased.

Eric

ps. Ok, I believe social security will exist, but be nothing like it is today.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 10:25 PM   #30

Comments withheld....sorry that my humor took it off topic

Back to the subject of lenses