Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 21, 2004, 4:44 PM   #1

Default My Wife Is Going to Divorce Me!

Today I purchased the EF100-400mm L IS lens for my 10D. It was selling for $2400 Canadian, I managed to talk the sales clerk down to $2,150, but I'm still in the doghouse with my wife.

Does anyone in this forum use this lens? This is my first experience with Canon Image Stabilization.

1) I have two questions abou this lens:

How do I know if the image stabilization is working. I have the IS turned on but the owner's manual says "Press the shutter button halfway to verify the effect of the image stabilizer."

What is suppose to happen? Should I be seeing flashing lights or fireworks in the viewfinder?

2) Which focusing range should I use? 1.8m/5.9ft to infinity or 6.5m/21.3ft to infinity

I'd appreciate hearing back from you. Thanks!
SteveZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2004, 6:52 PM   #2

1) You should see less camera shake. I have the 70-200 IS and believe me...it works!

2) The reason for the two ranges is to minimize hunting of the focus. You would use the 1.8-infinity range when you're close to your subject, otherwise use the 6.5m one.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2004, 8:43 PM   #3

On my 70-200L IS I hear the IS system whirring (its not loud though), and a solid 'klonk' sound when it dis-engages (I think).

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2004, 9:33 PM   #4

I have taken over 7,000 pictures through that lens.

1) Not only will you see less shake, you will hear it. It isn't very loud, but the noise is there. And, like barthold says, there is a klonk when it stop. I have not noticed it wasn't on before (if you get into a grove, over overly excited) but since I rarely turn it off, it must have gotten bumped off in my bag. That has happened only once in the year I've had the lens.

2) Exactly as ohenry says it. It helps prevent hunting while AF is trying to focus.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 9:25 PM   #5

The IS system is just like the greatest thing for camera's. Expecially people that dont like or unable to use a tripod in/at the moment. If you half press your shutter button (ie: Make AF kick in, etc) your IS should be also kicked in if turned on, on your lens. If you move side to side and up and down with your lens with the shutter half pressed, you will see a "Delay" sort of speak with the movement that you make. This dermatically cuts down shaking by a huge amount. If you say take a picture inside at 1/30th of a second with the IS off and do it hand held, and then do it with it on. You will see a difference Im sure. If not go slower... But if you dont notice a difference, then youve got hands of.... something that doesnt move much... lol :lol:
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 9:53 PM   #6

I have gotten quite used to that 'whirr.. klonk' noise from my lens as well (although its a Sigma not Canon). Yesterday after playing with the 80-400 for a while I put my macro lens on, and freaked out cause I didn't hear that noise. :lol:
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 11:03 PM   #7

I think it appropriate that my 70-200 IS 'klonks'. Its build like a tank; a good solid 'klonk' fits :-)

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 6:47 AM   #8

I too, am considering the 100-400mm L IS. I probably wont get a non-IS lens if I can help it. 8)
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 9:44 AM   #9

We may be able to start a new trend here

I only pointed to the Sigma 800mm f5.6 macro (~6500$cdn) and got a very interesting response.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 12:12 PM   #10

One that I'm sure wasn't appropriate for this forum.

If you don't absolutely have to have IS, then people should consider the 400 f5.6. It's optically better, it's lighter and $200+(USD) cheaper. The only downside that I can see is no IS.

Another option is the 300mm f4 IS + 1.4TC, which might be optically better (some say so, some say not) at about the same price.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote