Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 23, 2004, 8:53 PM   #11

What kind of monopod do you use?
aaltenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 10:53 PM   #12

aaltenburger

For what you do, the difference won't be that much (I believe.) I think the 10D & DRebel have the same AF system and (I know) the same sensor. The big diff might be that it won't suddenly go into AI Servo when you don't want it to. Of course, it might do it when you do want it to, so there is that too.

A big difference is probably the 3 vs 2.5 FPS and the 9 picture buffer vs. 4. If you shoot bursts, that will make a diff.

If you have a 50% keeper rate, that is fairly good for some subjects. I am a perfectionist too, but I shoot wild animals. I'd kill for a 50% keeper rate. I'm more around... 20% on a good day? But it is very subject dependent.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 7:24 AM   #13

That burst mode would be nice, but is it worth the $600 difference? I don't think I could justify doing that. My wife WOULD kill me.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 10:54 AM   #14

Most people can't/don't. I'd love to get even more FPS, but I'm going to spend the money on a better lens instead of a new camera body. That will last me much longer.

Eric
Old Mar 24, 2004, 11:02 AM   #15

That's what I'm thinking too. What do you think of the Sigma 50-500 vs. the 70-200 2.8? Having the wider angle thats available in the 50-500 would be nice. Any thoughts?
Old Mar 24, 2004, 12:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaltenburger
What kind of monopod do you use?
I picked up a Rokunar Monopod at a local shop. Relatively inexpensive but pretty heavy duty. 4 segment with a quick release. Has a nice strap and hand grip. I just carry it in my hand... I bought it specifically for the Sigma... I never hand hold... I always stick it on the monopod since the quick release makes it so easy!

Other lens i use when I can get close and want a wide angle is the Tamaron 28-75 XR Di 2.8.... This was my first Tamron lens and was just a tad hesitant... Had it almost 3 months and I can recommend it...
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 4:50 PM   #17

I would be surprised if f6.3 (which is what the 50-500 is at at 500) will be bright enough to get good shots indoors. Some places? Yes. Many places? No.

If you got those shots with the 70-200, then you're doing ok. I don't think closer will help you a huge amount for most of what you do.

Now, if you want to use that lens for other things, that is another matter.

Eric
Old Mar 24, 2004, 5:02 PM   #18

No that's pretty much right on. I've got a 1.4 and a 2.0 Sigma TC also, so I really couldn't see making a change, especially the beating I'd take selling those things. Well, I went ahead and got tickets for tomorrow's game for my son and I. Ugh, 3 hour drive each way, but I enjoy it.

Now to my questions:

1. What mode / settings would you recommend based on the pictures I've got posted. It'll be at a different venue, but I bet the lighting ought to be pretty close. Fortunately, we've got some pretty good seats.

2. If I can't get the Sigma in, I'll be taking my Tamron AF28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR in. Recommended settings for that. I know the quality won't be like the Sigma, but if that's my only option, I'll take it.

Your help is truly appreciated.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 10:25 PM   #19

I don't do sports shots, but here is what comes to mind.

low shutter speed is probably worse than small DOF. So I'd use the largest aperture you can, and therefor the best shutter. I'd start with 400ISO, but you might have to go higher. Then just depend on neatimage and hope.

You could try AI Focus, but it will be hit or miss. If the subjects are moving more left-right then it will work better. Forward-back movement is always harder of AI Focus.

Of course, trying to prefocus in anticipation will also be hit or miss. The question is which will yield better results. Prefocus might be more frustrating ("come on, move over there!") but if they do, you might get a better result. Of course, AI Focus comes with it's own frustration ("No, don't hunt!!!")

Lighting will also be fun, 'cause they'll have a lights with a flicker and a cast I bet. You could try making a custom white balance. Or you could just shoot in RAW and fix it later.

I don't know if the buffer depth will make RAW pointless, though. It would take so long to flush the buffers.

I don't know which metering mode would be better. I'm a fan of spot metering, but I've been thinking about changing my ways, as I've read good things about Canon's evaluative metering (I think that is the name.)

Eric
Old Mar 25, 2004, 6:29 AM   #20

Im not sure if anyone remembers me having the Sigma EX 70-200 but I had some severe focusing issues or something. No parts of the photograph where in detail. It was about a 30% chance that the picture will come our sharp, and Im not overdoing the "Out of focus" comment. It was clearly (Laugh) out of focus. To the point that you would not have it developed. I no longer have that lens and since have not had the issue. I may still have picture laying around somewhere from that lens.
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote