Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 23, 2004, 3:14 PM   #1

Default Basketball Photo Feedback

Well, I took about 200 photos of Notre Dame's NIT game against Saint Louis last night. Most of the pictures were taken with my DigiReb & Sigma 70-200 /2.8. Still new, but I'm feeling some frustration with how these are turning out. Focus is an issue... I've got a fast lens, the lighting wasn't terrible. I just expected a little more. Are there issues w/ sports photograpy and the 300D or am I just blowing the shots? Any/all input would be appreciated. I want to get good at this.

http://www.pbase.com/aaltenburger/ndstl_nit&page=all

I like 1103, 1104, and 1105 where the guy is begging the leprechaun for a T-shirt.
aaltenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2004, 5:16 PM   #2

Andy, one of the knowledgeable people will be along to help you. I looked at the shots and I would be dissapointed also. The first of Irish #1, img 1108 ISO1600 should certainly make the most of the light available, F6.3 should have given plenty DOF and 1/400 should have captured a player who was just standing there! It certainly looks like motion blur, With a non-moving target the opperator is the only one left to blame. Perhaps you will have to re-examine your grip. When I first got a longer glass I spoiled many shots untill I learned to steady things. If you want to test things use a tripod or set the camera on a table. Try some shots that way for comparison, at keast you could confirm or deny motion as a problem. Did you enjoy the game? You also haven't told us what settings you were using?
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 5:19 PM   #3

Were those really shot at 1600ISO? If so, how did you post process them?

What do you think is wrong with them? I generally think they are fairly good. They could be a bit sharper, but I'm not sure if the problem is with subject-motion blur, or user motion blur. But they aren't a blurry mess (at least what I looked at.) It looks like there is a lack of sharpness in places, but that could just be the lower DOF that f3.5 causes.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 5:32 PM   #4

I tend to agree with Eric... actually pretty good results! Are you hand holding that big 'ol Sigma? I always use a mono-pod with mine... Are you using just a single focus point? In the local gyms the lighting is so bad I usually have to shoot the Sigma wide open...
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 5:34 PM   #5

Tomsch, I was using a monopod. When focusing, the sensors seemed to be focused on the subject. If it's me, I can certainly deal with that. I saw a couple of other posts where there were some focus issues with 300D and moving subject. If I'm going to take pictures, I sure as heck want them to turn out. There should be more sharpness IMO.
Old Mar 23, 2004, 5:38 PM   #6

Which "mode" are you shooting in? I shoot in Av mode which allows the AI servo (is that the right term?) to kick in if the camera detects motion...
Old Mar 23, 2004, 5:42 PM   #7

I shot them in TV and AV modes. I think the ones in AV mode turned out a little better. Can you control the shutter speed in AV or am I doing something wrong? It appears that in TV mode, you can control shutter speed (1/400), but not the aperature. Is it vice versa in AV?
Old Mar 23, 2004, 7:10 PM   #8

In Av (aperture mode) you select the aperture and the camera figures out the proper shutter speed. In Tv (shutter mode) mode you select the shutter speed and the camera picks the aperture. In M (manual mode) you select BOTH shutter speed and aperture. I shoot Av mode to get the AI servo benefit when subject is moving. Here's my basic flow... Use Av mode and set lens wide open at 2.8. Then I set the ISO to try and keep the shutter speed above 1/125. In the poorly lit gyms it usually means ISO 800 or 1600.... Once in a while i can get away with ISO 400...
Old Mar 23, 2004, 7:45 PM   #9

OK, thanks. So, I was on the right track. In AV mode, do you have the option to select the number of focus points? Could that be where some of my soft focus is coming in?? I just have this bad habit of not being satisfied unless it's almost perfect. So, out of 200 shots, I ended up with the 100 listed on Pbase. Out of the 100 I eliminated, some were just cast aside b/c they were very similar to others I posted.

Like I said, I can deal with this if I get better each time I do this. For me, it's not like doing a HS game. You don't get many chances to do what I did last night. 2nd row. Untelevised game (if they're televised, no cameras). That's the thing that heightens my frustration a bit, a missed opportunity.

How much of a difference is there between the 10D and 300D?
Old Mar 23, 2004, 9:11 PM   #10

Yep, in Av mode you can select focus point...

You will get better... practice... lots of practice... I go to the local high school to practice... Freshman and JV games aren't as crowded... And editing... knowing which shots work and which ones to toss... that helps too....