Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 7, 2002, 7:01 AM   #1

Default 135-400 Sig?

135-400 Sig. Yes no? For my d-30. Price is right but confidence level is low also. Thoughts?
lensecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2002, 12:20 PM   #2

Hi Lensecap

I havenít seen anything on the 135-400, but I did own the 20-40 and sent it back after one day. I was very disappointed in the image quality. I have seen many images taken with the sigma 50-500 and they looked very good. I know it cost about $300 more but it may be money well spent. I have the Canon 100-400L/IS and this is one great lens. At 400mm you will need a tripod with the Sigma, with the Canon IS it can be handheld.

[Edited on 6-7-2002 by Tom C]
Tom C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2002, 4:48 PM   #3

Tom,
I looked at the sig. Not impressed. I am looking for a used 50-500 in the devon area. I have found a 100-400is L, used, but have not heard any input on my bid. It would be nice, but I have a feeling someone will out bid me. I do feel that these are the only options. I think either will do very nicely. would like to hear from someone with the BIG Sigma. Seems like a long strech, but have been told it works well. "I can handle the weight". But the IS would be nice. If I can get the used price I will go for the canon, But can't swing a new one. Thanks to these great forums I have been very happy with my D-30 andd the diital world. Thank you all for the input. Michael.
Old Jul 1, 2002, 5:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally posted by lensecap
Tom,
I looked at the sig. Not impressed. I am looking for a used 50-500 in the devon area. I have found a 100-400is L, used, but have not heard any input on my bid. It would be nice, but I have a feeling someone will out bid me. I do feel that these are the only options. I think either will do very nicely. would like to hear from someone with the BIG Sigma. Seems like a long strech, but have been told it works well. "I can handle the weight". But the IS would be nice. If I can get the used price I will go for the canon, But can't swing a new one. Thanks to these great forums I have been very happy with my D-30 andd the diital world. Thank you all for the input. Michael.
Michael,
Did you ever get the 50-500 and if you did, how did it work out for your needs?

[Edited on 7-1-2002 by Jim C.]
Jim C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2002, 7:14 AM   #5

Default 50-500 Sig

Jim,
Yes I did get the Sigma. It works well for me. It is a BIT on the heavy side. I spent the day shooting a Youth football match here in tiverton and my wrist was a bit soar. The IS would be nice, I just couldn't talk the wife into the doubled price tag. It was a display modle so a good by. My only worry is that I have found dust inside the lens, So far the shot are good so I don't know whether to send it in or just go with it.
Old Jul 6, 2002, 7:49 AM   #6

what did they say about the dust issue at the store? are they willing to take care of it under warranty and what kind of turn around time would you be looking at?
By the way what's the length and weight on the 50-500?
Jim C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2002, 4:05 PM   #7

Default Weigh

Jim,
The lentgh,with hood,
is 11 inches, weight is 4 Lbs. Extended it is 14.5 inches. It is a biggy. But in the same ball park as the canon. I will have to deal with sigma. will contact them tomorrow. That's about all I know at the moment. will let you know. I believe the have a shop here in the uk but I heard rumor of 3 weeks. Michael.
Old Jul 17, 2002, 6:15 PM   #8

Default Sigma 50-500 Review

I did extensive testing of the Sigma 50-550APO EX HSM last week and posted it all over the Dpreview and Fred Miranda sites. While I won't repeat much of what has already been said, it is an EXTRAORDINARY value. The ONLY reason I returned it was that it was NOT easy to get keeper handheld shots (what I mostly to) as the 100-400L I currently have. It is NOT really any sharper, but is surely AS sharp. It simply is a value nobody should pass up unless they are not as stable as I and plan on handholding most of the time. If you don't mind a tripod than by ALL means RUN don't walk out and get this lens. Delta International has the best pricing on it and is getting more in on Friday to meet the sudden demand (partly from my review as I've received many emails about this). Whether you're overseas or not they can ship it at a significantly lower price of about $735USD. Here is a picture I managed to get handheld near Scottsdale Arizona last week while testing. As I said it is ONE SHARP SUCKER!!!! Taken with my 1D and @400mm as I was comparing it against the Canon 100-400L.

traveler is offline   Reply With Quote