Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 31, 2004, 12:29 AM   #11

I'm going to get a bit brave here. I would rate photographers in a few different divisions, one being hobby, one being intermediate, and one being tool focusing nut. The tool focusing nut is the one who doesn't consider anything but the lens or the camera that they wish to have, the tool. They dismiss the bills outstanding and only wish to appease their desires in the photo world.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 6:09 AM   #12

Normcar - i don't know about you being a bit brave, I think you're being damn rude!

I have studied art and photography at Higher Education and Degree level but had to pull out of my degree course due to ill health and now after several years of hardly touching a camera I am starting to feel better and wanted to make the leap into digital photography with an SLR and technology has come on so much over the last few years that makes it affordable with the likes of the 10D...so I saved to buy one and got a kit with a couple of lenses etc from the US so saving some money as prices are alot higher here in the UK but one lens is out of stock so I was asking the members of the forum for their advice as I'm new to DSLR having previously used an EOS 650 film camera and a Bronica medium format...also I'm interested in using a ring flash as never had the chance in the past but these are just questions for future purchases... therefore if I'm going to have character assasination I don't see the point of the forum as I thought it was a place to swap opinions and advice but maybe I'm wrong ? apart from yourself everyone else has been polite and helpful...
sick little monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 9:23 AM   #13

SLM...the non-IS and IS versions are optically the same.

Norm... :shock: What is up with that???
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 9:40 AM   #14

Ohenry - thx...as I can't find much info on the 55-200 I'll wait for the 75-300 to come back in stock as it sounds a good lens for the money and has extra 100mm focal length...
Old Apr 1, 2004, 12:06 AM   #15

My apologies Sick little monkey...

Apparently I didn't state clearly what I meant, which I apologize for. It sounded to me like you did know about cameras and lenses so I was referring to the "idea" that sometimes the focus is more on the piece of equipment than actually going out and shooting, which I mistakenly assumed you understood as a practiced photographer.

My statement in no way related to you personally, it relateed to a "group" that seems to focus so much on the tool that they lose touch with what the main purpose is, having fun with the camera and to learn how to use the tool that one now has.

It was an impersonal statement, not referring to anyone specifically, and especially not to you, only to what I perceive to be a thought process omnipresent in many forums. I'm not a new member here and I daily read posts. I have gathered an opinion over the months and apparently aired it at the wrong time, and in the wrong way here in your string.

Heck, you were just asking questions about lenses and there's nothing wrong with that. Obviously I just picked the wrong time to air my laundry and got misread because of it. If you don't forgive me I will not be a happy camper because I had no intention of meaning what you apparently have gathered from my words. I think I'm being quite clear now, though, that my intention was in no way reflecting on you. That's about all I can offer to repair this flat tire at the moment.

I apologize again for not being clear in my intention. I don't apologize for seeing this viewpoint in forums but I do apologize for causing you to think that this statement was in any way directed at you personally...it was not. I edited out the confusing portion above in order to hopefully be more clear about my intentions.

My feelings: it ain't the lens, the color of the lens, the size of the lens, the FOV of the lens, the age of the lens, the dream of the lens, it's the one who presses the shutter, when they press it, why they press it, how they press it, and "if" they press it. Oh, and one more thing...if they have alot to say then they should also be willing and ready and happy and even "embracing" the idea of actually posting shots for the rest of us to see and critique. I've seen a few in this forum lacking that last portion of the meal. I will say no more and offer no names, those who are regulars know who I am referring to, and it certainly isn't my "hopefully" friend, our Sick and wonderful pal from the UK who brought this string about.
Old Apr 1, 2004, 5:57 AM   #16

Hi Normcar thx for the apology, i was starting to think I was going to be flamed and not wanted in the forum but I realise that you obviously get annoyed with people who are obsessed about their equipment and not (as I think as well) the most important thing being the image...

In the past I have not been into equipment that much as I've just used what I had and been happy with it but the reason for all my questions is that I realise that the DSLR is a different beast and as such there's stuff thats totally new to me so I want to understand it so I can make informed purchases and get what I need to do the job and the best value for money...

Mostly I suppose I'm an artist using the camera as a tool the capture the image as the starting point for a piece of work and as such have never paid that much attention to the technical aspects of photography...In the past at college I had been advised that I paid more attention to the technical side of photography to improve my work overall...this has probably led me to be more aware of this side of it now I've made the leap to digital which I see as a very exciting medium and is a different way of capturing images which is how i always wanted to work before when I was stuck in a darkroom for hours - yes that had a certain charm as well which I did enjoy at one point but I feel I have more control over the images now...

As I've been out of photography for 4-5 years I guess I will produce different imagery as I have changed as a person and as such I'm excited by this as I don't know what I will be able to do...maybe I won't be able to produce anything decent who knows? but I'm willing to give it a go and learn some new skills and hopefully do more in Photoshop etc...I don't care how I produce the image just as long as I get what I'm after..

I've decided to stick with the 75-300 as it sounds ok and has the extra focal length and Ohenry said he had the IS version which is optically the same as the non IS...

As I said I got a 10D kit with 2 lenses (still waiting for the 75-300) battery grip, spare battery pack, CF card, card reader and want to get the rest of the kit I'll need for most eventualities thats why I was asking about a wide angle for a good price as then I'll cover most areas, something else is a 50mm f1.8 that someone raved about on a review of EF lenses as it is a fast portrait lens and cheap at under $70 - have u used one or know anything as it sounds like a bargain...

Am I best asking about ring flash in the flash forum?

anyway, I'm glad thats cleared up and hopefully speak to u again...

Cheers...
Old Apr 1, 2004, 10:18 AM   #17

Normcar:
You are right! Maybe the hobby should be devided in to the
Users: Photographers who actually use the equipment to take pictures
And the
Collectors: Photographers who collect pristine equipment.

Back to the topic,
The 50mm f1.8 is a fairly fast and very inexpensive lense because it is easy to make It is actually good prime lens.
On the 10d it acts as a 80mm and that is not a bad FL to use for portraits.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 7:41 PM   #18

SLM...

Your kindness to me is a breath of fresh air and I certainly do not deserve your good words. I'm working on controlling my passion for this new sport of mine and sometimes I don't do a very good job of it.

Had I been really listening to you in the first place rather than being off in a tangent about other strings and things, I would have possibly even been of some assistance to you since I own both the 75-300 and the 50 1.8. I may have one of the good 75-300, I don't know, because it certainly works fine when I put it on my camera. However, because I have the 70-200 F4 and the Sigma 50-500 it has sort of been relegated to the back row of my bag. But this isn't because it can't take good photographs. I think it's fine, and I'm sure the IS is a handy extra.

The 50mm should have a diamond casing to show how much of a gem it is. It's so nice to know that one can purchase an excellent lens without breaking the bank. Some of my sharpest and best basketball shots have come from this lens as I stood shoulder to shoulder with the players immediately under the basket. It is one sharp and wonderful tool to have, it has an extremely favorable price tag, and it almost floats (weight wise). Buy it!

Again, thanks for your forgiving words. I was a bit concerned all day long...the guilt was overwhelming. I'm working on not flying off the handle with some of my online comments but I'm sure I'll slip up again. I'm a passionate guy but I'm working on being a bit "less" passionate.

I hope you remain in this forum for a very very long time and I'm sure you will be one of those "gems" who contribute really good stuff!
Old Apr 1, 2004, 9:32 PM   #19
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP
Normcar:
You are right! Maybe the hobby should be devided in to the
Users: Photographers who actually use the equipment to take pictures
And the
Collectors: Photographers who collect pristine equipment.

What's wrong with that... Why can't you be both: I've been collecting for a while (pristine and non): http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...light=polaroid... and I certainly take more pictures(and posted them) more than most! BTW I still have a couple of medium formats from my past hobby collecting dust...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 9:56 PM   #20

But NHL, you are a master of both, so perhaps you are not exactly the "norm" (no pun intended)