Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 1, 2004, 10:28 PM   #21

of course you can be both!
Btw, I am one who sort of collects ( I don't like to part with the toys) though all have seen hard use, and uses a lot I still buy refrigated film by the brick

:lol: I had one of those Kodak instants and it was great, got really PO'd with polariod when they wanted the whole market to themselves and I have an old polaroid somewhere.
The oldest camera I have is a Yashikamat 124g it was made in 1953 and it still works.
Also used to have a working Brownie, but it went missing during a move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
What's wrong with that... Why can't you be both: I've been collecting for a while (pristine and non):
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 10:41 PM   #22

Peter, the first thing I like about you is that you are Canadian, the second is your wisdom. Thanks
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 10:59 PM   #23

Ok, here's my vote against the 75-300 USM III. I had one, and it had horrible CA. I posted asking about it on this forum a while back, and I think it was written off as 'well that just happens for that money'. Fair enough answer, but I didn't like it so I bought a better lens. I can try to dig up the pictures again and re-post if you want.

I'm a perfectionist, thus take my comments in that light.

I like technology, and understanding how it works allows me to take better pictures. I don't collect cameras, in fact film always bothered me. Get it developed, pay money for it, then scan it in if you want it on the computer. Waaay too much work. Digital is just right for me :-) Plus the instant feedback and the histogram are just great tools!

Sorry, I have no experience with ring flashes.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 5:08 AM   #24
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by barthold
I like technology, and understanding how it works allows me to take better pictures. I don't collect cameras, in fact film always bothered me. Get it developed, pay money for it, then scan it in if you want it on the computer. Waaay too much work. Digital is just right for me :-) Plus the instant feedback and the histogram are just great tools!
IMO working in the darkroom and exposed to the chemical smell and see a blank sheet of paper turn to print let you appreciate the digital workflow much more (or guess how a color print turn out after opening the drums)... :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW I also have a couple of Durst's collecting cogweb in my basement... and people here only think of picking lenses for their camera, what about the enlargers? Again ones can argue on their optical merit, branding and snob factor here as well!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 7:56 AM   #25

Ahhh...the smell of chemicals in the darkened room....

Yes, there's a trunkload of enlarger, trays, drums, timers, etc in my attic. I bet I still have 500 plastic slide mounts still around. My favorite thing to do was slides and then print with Cibachrome.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 8:03 AM   #26
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohenry
Ahhh...the smell of chemicals in the darkened room.... My favorite thing to do was slides and then print with Cibachrome.
I was just looking at some Ilford paper for my printer the other day... Time sure changes! :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 8:59 AM   #27

So do I technology is fun. But you did not like paying for film development, so now with digital you buy a new camera every year or two instead just to keep up with the newest digital emulsions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barthold

Barthold
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2004, 12:48 AM   #28

Peter, point taken :-) I'm not claiming digital is cheaper, just more convenient. After you factor in the cost of a PC, monitor, software, new camera body etc its a lot of money for sure!

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 6:46 AM   #29

The 55-200 USM is really cheaply built. It's got a polycarbonate lens mount, which in my opinion is unacceptable for a lens in it's price range, especially since the cheaper 75-300mm USM has a metal mount.

The 75-300 is ok, but IMO save up a few extra bucks and go for the 100-300 USM. W/ the IF, it seems to focus quicker, and it's definitely sharper.
Polaris20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 3:26 PM   #30

:|I own a Canon Digital Rebeal which came with the kit lens a 18-55 f3.5, so I went with the 55-200 F4 -5.6. It does have a plastic mount, but because the lens is so light I don't see where a metal mount would make any difference. I borrowed a friends 75-300 and found it unusable at 300MM because it was not at all crisp at 5.6 300 mm handheld. I had to increase my ISO to 400 or 800 to get my shutter speed up high enough to use handheld. This was on a nice sunny day in Cali.

I am only an amature and have only been shooting for about 6 months and I am already dissastified with my 420 EX flash (should have gotten the 550 EX like everyone told me) and the entry level lens I purchased. My next lens will be the Canon 70-200 F4L and the 1.4 extender which will get me out to about 280mm. Yes, I really want the F2.8L IS but one step at a time. I hate having to learn by wasting my money on what I can afford vs what is the better choice.

I would recommend saving your money and buying quality L series lens and not worry about focal lengths right now. You baught a 10D why buy cheap lenses?

minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote